El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.k here's the story I checked my trans. fluid last week and my stick was dry so I filled it up and today it was 1/2 down from full on the stick with engine idling and warmed up. I can't find any visible place where I could loose that much fluid. On the pan I have one bolt that's no completely tight and I don't want to strip it. When I had my digital dash put in they put the shift indicator sensor on with about 4 washers to level it and I'm thinking the bolt isn't long enough I hope. My new gasket just came so I will find out but it only drops one drop of fluid if any once a week. I inspected under the truck and the only visual fluid is at that screw and none anywhere else. Everything looks the same as when I dropped in the new motor clean!!!! I checked the lines to the radiator nothing, checked the water and it;s florescent green and no oil slick nothing. Bell housing dry. Cement slab where i park my truck not even a drop in the last week. I thought maybe when driving the pressure was blowing it out but there's nothing wet underneath except the one bolt. Nothing at work on the ground and I look every time I get out of the truck. Where is it going????? I'm not kidding there is no fluid dropped anywhere. Checked the oil it's golden and stays on the full line not above or below and nothing in the radiator except antifreeze and water. I can take pictures to show how nice it looks underneath.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Does your tranny have a vacuum modulator? I had on on my chevelle that leaked internally. Fluid was sucked through the line into the intake and burned. Never a drop on the ground. Could be your problem. Check the line/hose. If its wet inside you got your answer. Good luck.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where am I looking for this? Also there's no smoke coming out the tail pipe. Should there if it's leaking into the engine?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Vacuum modulator

Passenger side rear almost to tail shaft housing on thm 350. Not sure on the 4 speed autos. Dont think you have one if memory serves from your previous posts. After your experience with the engine these are a piece of cake to install. Get an adjustable one. Congrats on the successful transplant. :nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Passenger side rear almost to tail shaft housing on thm 350. Not sure on the 4 speed autos. Dont think you have one if memory serves from your previous posts. After your experience with the engine these are a piece of cake to install. Get an adjustable one. Congrats on the successful transplant. :nanawrench:
Thanks
My trans is the TH2004R

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, drive it some more and check again later. It's possible it just needed more than you added.
NO WHEN I PUT THE NEW MOTOR IN I PUT TO MUCH AND HAD TO DRAIN SOME SO IT WAS FULL THEN A MONTH LATER THE DIP STICK HAD NONE SO I REFILLED A WEEK AGO AND NOW IT WAS ON HALF ON THE STICK WARM AND AT IDLE. IT'S GOING SOMEWHERE.

Last week almost 2 quarts and now another 1/2 in one week WITH NO SMOKE NOT EVEN STARTING COLD.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There are only two places it can go. On the ground, or into the engine. And only into the engine if it has a vacuum modulator.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
There are only two places it can go. On the ground, or into the engine. And only into the engine if it has a vacuum modulator.

I'm on it after work. I'm trying to find a breakdown so I know exactly where it is so I'm not wasting anybodies time here. I looked at the parts shop but nothing comes up with vacuum modulator TH2004R?
One other thing there's a plug on the back of the block by the fire wall the looks the same as the connector to the cycling switch for the A/C it's a female two blade connector with a plastic boot. I don't know if it was unplugged or it came unplugged when I was feeling back there. Just wondering what it controls.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..maby it just "burp",an air pocket inside of the torqure converter..:dontknow:!?!?..
..I don't know if you drain the converter when the engine was pulled out....:dontknow:
:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
..maby it just "burp",an air pocket inside of the torqure converter..:dontknow:!?!?..
..I don't know if you drain the converter when the engine was pulled out....:dontknow:
No just the pan to replace the gasket and filter the trans. never came out. At first I was checking the dip stick and it was always full but the new motor has only been in for a couple of months and now i see this. It's a lot of fluid in a short time with nothing on the ground.:dontknow:

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Disconnect the vacuum modulator line at the manifold. Look inside the rubber hose for moisture (ATF). Apply a vacuum source (pump or suck) at the vacuum line. Do not exceed 20 hg. Check that the valve holds vacuum.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check. went out to go to work and now i have visable fluid on the ground. not a lot but enough to see theres a problem somewhere not just the one loose bolt dropping one drop a week. So under the truck we go tonight. I'm already sweating down here it's nasty weather but it's supposed to let up soon I hope.:beer:
Thanks
Robert

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
I had something similar...A 2004R as well...And it had been out with all seals replaced, including shifter output. (No external vacuum modulator BTW). It was always a bit wet with red at the flywheel cover and never anything on the ground. Fluid levels were not going away but I got antsy before a long trip and added some......Thin wet red on the ground followed for some time. When it finally read a littlle low I added some Trans-X conditioner and sealer. Been good so far...Knock on wood...lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
I dont know for sure, but I'm fairly certain a 200-4r has NO vacuum modulator.

I am guessing an air bubble as gilby said. Remember these transmissions hold over 10 quarts of fluid, so there's a lot of places fluid can not be when it should, causing different readings as fluid fills places and air bubbles move out.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
I just had a TH350 put in to replace my powerglide, new stall converter and shift kit - rebuilt unit.

Just got back from tranny shop, it had 2 leaks, one where the selector rod went through the case AND the speedo cable. Got 2yr warranty, so all fixed, now to clean the floor good and watch.

Just posting this so you don't feel alone Robert. :poke:You've done an amazing job on your cruck.:You_Rock:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nah, sounds like a little leak. It doesn't take much to leak a quart over time.

I got a cast aluminum pan for my TH350. Much stiffer gasket edge, a little more fluid capacity, and some cooling effect from the fins. I installed it and stopped a leak I had chased literally for years. This was on my T. AND it has a drain plug!

Unfortunately, it looks like it would cost about $250 bucks with shipping for the same thing for your transmission.

That selector seal is a common problem. So common, there is a tool for removing it without draining the tranmission.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will go underneath tonight to see and I already have a new gasket just in case but everything looked dry last night but didn't get all the way under but been there quit a bit lately and always check for any leaks sense I'm under there already. It's a habit to inspect everything she's getting old and parts should be getting ready to fail nothing last forever except my love for my truck.:nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts