El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a front disc brake conversion kit from Eckler’s that includes the dual master cylinder, proportioning valve and booster for my ‘65 El C. This kit is designed to work with the stock spindles. I also purchased the brake lines kit for this conversion, along with the line clips. If anyone has had experience with this particular kit, any guidance or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Ask the vendor what make and model number of disk pads cross reference to something you can purchase locally in case you don't like the performance of these pads. Then note that pad make and model number for future reference. Some disk pads make a lot of wheel brake dust.

Also note the make and model number for the inner and outer wheel bearings. Note for future reference because none of this will match your vehicle as it originally came from the factory if anything ever needs replacement. So save yourself that future frustration by writing this stuff down now and stash it with your owner's manual.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask the vendor what make and model number of disk pads cross reference to something you can purchase locally in case you don't like the performance of these pads. Then note that pad make and model number for future reference. Some disk pads make a lot of wheel brake dust.

Also note the make and model number for the inner and outer wheel bearings. Note for future reference because none of this will match your vehicle as it originally came from the factory if anything ever needs replacement. So save yourself that future frustration by writing this stuff down now and stash it with your owner's manual.

Rick

Thank you Rick. I will make those notes. Btw, this kit sold by Eckler’s comes from Right Stuff Detailing.
YC

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I used a Right Stuff kit on the conversion of my 70 EC four wheel powered drum system to front powered disks and kept the rear drums. I think the kit parts are copied clone GM parts for a 1971 vehicle. At least this is what I was told.

My only difficulty with the Right Stuff kit was what to do with the small silver metal collars that the caliper bolts go through. The instructions two years ago were unclear but the heads of the caliper bolts force these collars into the calipers as the bolts get tightened.

No complaints about the kit. I replaced every inch of hose and tubing front to rear and went with braided steel lines up front. The all new lines allowed me to use DOT 5 silicone brake fluid.

If I had it to do over again, I would have used the copper-nickel brake lines rather than my choice of stainless steel. The stainless was very tough to seal against leaks at the joint unions.

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Rick. I think I saw a similar comment somewhere re: sealing the connections when using the stainless lines. We’ll see what happens when we get into installation.

Just thought I’d mention, since you have a ‘70, my same cousin who bequeathed me my ‘65 also had a ‘70 that he was going to work on. It’s in very rough condition and is still in the backyard of his former residence out in Rialto, CA. His wife (my actual blood cousin) is now burdened with trying to get rid of that vehicle and an additional ‘70 chassis. The ‘70 has no engine or tranny and the front clip was removed as my cousin was going to do a conversion, we think. Any thoughts on a good way for me to assist in finding a way for this vehicle and chassis to find a new home? Thank you..

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Post a for sale sign here on El Camino Central. There are people that will eventually take it all off your hands or maybe part it out in pieces. If these vehicles still have their drip edge chrome trim for a vinyl top, you could make some good money right away!!!

Rick

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Are these the 2 listed on Craigslist?
One has an LS engine/trans in the bed.

Nope. I see Rialto is further east.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks again Rick. I think I saw a similar comment somewhere re: sealing the connections when using the stainless lines. We’ll see what happens when we get into installation.

Just thought I’d mention, since you have a ‘70, my same cousin who bequeathed me my ‘65 also had a ‘70 that he was going to work on. It’s in very rough condition and is still in the backyard of his former residence out in Rialto, CA. His wife (my actual blood cousin) is now burdened with trying to get rid of that vehicle and an additional ‘70 chassis. The ‘70 has no engine or tranny and the front clip was removed as my cousin was going to do a conversion, we think. Any thoughts on a good way for me to assist in finding a way for this vehicle and chassis to find a new home? Thank you..
I’m like 20 min from Rialto any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t think I can post pics or for sale because I’m so new to the group. Don’t I have to have like 20 some posts before I can post pics? I want to respect the rules of the site. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m like 20 min from Rialto any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will post some pics on the FB National El Camino Owners Association page. Hope that helps until I can get my post quota up enough to post here.
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts