El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the cap & rotor on my 4.3L & noticed the rust on my distributor !!
Is this normal ?? or do I need to start looking for a new distributor ??

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I would think that's not normal. My son has 2001 blazer with the 4.3. He had an intake leak at the rear near the dizzy. The dizzy would get steamed up inside. We did the intake before it got to rust anything.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
That does seem excessive. I've seen some rust dust on the bottom plate before but that is pretty bad.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Rust never sleeps. Get yourself a nice new dizzy. They are not expensive. That much rusty crust can't be helping your performance.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the rust wont actually hurt.depending on the area you live in you will see that. if you remember hs phisics the only insulation from magnatisum is distance. you can clean it up and as long as the wireing and other electrical parts are good it will be fine.they arnt very expensive to replace so if its looks bother you replace it otherwise clean it up and replace the module and it will be ok

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It runs fine !! I did live in St. Augustine for over 10 years, about 4 miles from the Beach & always tried to keep the salty air off the camino !! I guess it's another item on the to do list !!
Thanks !! :beer:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If it's working good now why replace it? There's no telling if you'll end up with a junk rebuilt unit, or crap Chinese new unit that might be worse off than what you have. Just brush off the loose stuff with a wire brush, spray it with a little preventative of some sort and run it. Just don't be surprised if later on down the road it does end up going bad, though I really don't think it will if you just take off the heavy stuff and spray it a bit with the preventative stuff (can't remember the name right now).

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was changing the cap & rotor on my 4.3L & noticed the rust on my distributor !!
Is this normal ?? or do I need to start looking for a new distributor ??

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/87next2last1/distrust/dizzyrust002.jpg
Yes,that's normal. The distributor is a trap for condensation. If it runs fine, leave it alone. If you don't like the way it looks, just clean it up a bit and apply a little grease to those areas that are rusting to help prevent it from coming back too soon.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re manufactured units are under $100 at the local jobber.
You'll need your old one for a core.
Shesh,that's bad.
I had one that sat for years,and because of the cast iron block,and the aluminum dizzy,I actually had to break the thing getting it out.
I had to chisel the pieces from the engine block,after drilling most of it out.
Not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know a lot of the off road suys in my area use silicone spray to keep water/mud out of the dizzy when mudding out on trails and to prevent condesation build up. Might wanna try that with the new dizzy when you get it, just to see how it works for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts