El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing some mis-firing, which has gotten progressively worse. It first started after the engine was good and heated up, but now even when cold. It idles okay, just starts missing going down the road and is worse under throttle. First, I pulled the high tension lead from my coil and found corrosion (not on the dist. cap end). I cleaned that up, but no change. Then I pulled the dist. cap and found qite a bit of depositing on the rotor and cap arc posts. I plan to replace the cap and rotor now, as they have about 50,000 miles on them. I started it in my shop with all the lights off and see no arcing around the plug wires (ACCEL 8 MM).

My question is...how much side play is acceptable for the distributor shaft? This is the original distributor, with about 190,000 miles, and seems to have more side play than I would expect. I don't have another one to compare right now.

This is a 1987 El Camino with the small HEI distributor (separate external coil). The engine, transmission and rear end were replaced about 50,000 miles ago and has a GMPP 350HO (330HP, Vortec heads) with all of the emission and ECM stuff intact and the following mods:
SMI E-QJet calibrated for this engine
Hypertech chip
Edelbrock TES headers
Specific Spark controle module
350 knock sensor
3-row core radiator
Art Carr 200R4 with 2800 RPM stall converter
3.73 posi from MCSS
3" dia. single exhaust with high-flow cat converter

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If it were me, I would just get an exchange/overhauled stock distributor, like the one you have. Most auto parts stores can fix you up. You likely don't need anything special or exotic for a distributor if the stock unit worked OK until now.
I exchanged the distributor on my pickup truck, so I wouldn't have to fool with it myself, and it was cheaper.
( I charge myself too much for labor:smileyb:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, is there anybody else out there? I bought a cap and rotor today, but it was 113 degrees out there. Maybe I will put them on tomorrow morning before it gets too hot...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Do you have a dial indicator to check the run out?? If you have movement (side to side) when you grab the rotor button still attached to the distribitor,, then thats way to much IMO,, my guess would be less than .005 run out,, Matty man

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey...i've been interupting alot of threads lately but my car is bothering me.:secret:
:let_it_all_out: my baby doesn't seem to get the power she should, beside the point she has an eco carb, a buddy suggested it might be the distributor. how can i test this and if it is bad i'd like some thought on a high performance dist. :nanawrench::texas:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts