El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a aftermarket jegs hei distributor that was installed by the guy i bought my elky from,my question is , there are no bushings in the distributor weights and the holes in the weights appear to be longated, also one of the e-clips came off a weight and was found stuck to the stator magnet, i assume it came off due to there being no bushings in the weights to hold them flat and stable?? do all stock weights have bushings or only the aftermarket advance kits?? i thought all weights had bushings, i think my weights are fried??

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,580 Posts
I don't have any experience with that particular brand of distributor, but I've installed quite a few curve kits over the years. Some have bushings and some don't. Obviously, the weights need to be a decent fit on the pins, free but not sloppy. Sounds like you may need some new pieces.

Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not all have bushings. In fact, doesn't the stock GM HEI have none (except UNDER the weights)?

Elongated holes in the weights are from a long life (stock ones), or junk aftermarket that's not hardened steel. Toss them.

As far as the e clip, there shouldn't be one on the weights. They are held in place by the springs. The e clip holds down the center plate. If it has both clips on it, it's possible that it was changed at some point and the one you went flying and waiting for you to discover it as you did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts