El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a little more looking around at Q-jet carbs and have run across the term 'divorced choke' - and while my ex-wife would have loved to perform that on me....

what is this and are all q-jet equipped with them? PIC would be nice if there are different style chokes on q-jet (or maybe just an explanation for dummies, like me)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Divorced choke

Early way to control position of choke depending on engine condition. Usually a bimetal coiled element mounted on the intake manifold and connected to the choke blade to control opening rate. Normally has a cover to trap heat around the element to force the coil to expand or contact, opening or closing the blade therefore controlling the amount of air allowed into the engine as it warms up. As the engine cools, the coil returns to its normal position closing the blade for the next restart.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Most intakes have the space/place for one. The Performer q-jet intake I just installed (new) has a place for it, and the Eiland I replaced had one.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The divorced choke worked good, when it was in good condition. The bi-metal spring was easy to replace too.
The hot air choke was OK until the hot air tube it was connected to, rusted through, inside of the exhaust cross-over passage under the carb, where it picked up the heat in the tube. The exhaust gas, with a rusted-through hot air tube, would get sucked into the choke housing. Not a great idea....

The electric choke was a good step in the right direction.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
I had an edelbrick carb, the screws rattled out and the joke fell onto the manifold. Thereafter I had a divorced choke.

:???:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
havent seen one of those carbs in years,is it a 6210
Yep, and a normal rebuild kit for a douple pumper won't work (ask me how I know!!:let_it_all_out:)
and you have to take the bowls off the ends to remove it!!!
Will be replaced, but runs good right now!!:nanawrench:
Donny

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
How do I add the photo, not just a link?:dontknow:

when replying to a posted message, scroll down further on the page. below the "submit" button for your message, there is a black line labeled "message options".
Click on "manage attachments" there. Once that opens, click on "browse". add the pic from your puter, up to 3. then click on "upload". when that is done, click on the "submit" button like you normally do. all done!

:poke:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts