El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered headliner material for my gen 5.The spray adhesive came with it.I was putting a dash cap in at the same time,so it was two weeks before I took her out for a drive. The headliner started sagging ann no amount of rubbing it back up did any good.Icalled Dixie.They said there had been some trouble in some of the southern states,where it gets hotter.I live in Kentucky but at the time it had not been above 75.Dixie recommended I buy 3M 90 adhesive and they sent me a replacement headliner material.I think their response was excellent.I will still have to re-do the headliner(that sucks),but this may help anyone else get the best adhesive to begin with.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's a pain. I just had mine done at an interior shop. I did the R&R though.

I hope you don't break any of the front trim or rear trim clips.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I averteted any problems by buying a new headliner with the fabric already on it. The ABS headliner fit perfectly and was a breeze to install. Well worth the money. Its been on 8 yrs now and never a problem. Just a thought. Got it from OPGI.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also bought the headliner replacement with the felt already attached but what a pain it was to install. My wife wished she had video taped me install it because she laughed so hard. I will never do that again myself. I will pay to have it done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is something about me that makes "the least expensive way"the way I try.Truth be told,sometimes it costs as much or more in the end.I bought new rear clips for the first go round,so heres hoping.:cool1:

·
Supporting Member
4,395 Posts
I had a similar problem years ago on my first headliner replacement. When I went back for more material, etc, The Upholstery Shop told me to put at least two coats of the adhesive on each piece, with dry time in between, before attaching. Make sure to allow it to dry pretty well before attaching ( contact cement works best when dry). He also said to "empty the can- use it all". Second application has been on now for 8+ yrs.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Good timing. I have a new liner for my '77 and I wondered what adhesive to use. for mine the plastic clips all broke. Old age made them all brittle. The metal ones in rear were fine. They sell the clips, don't worry to much if any break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts