El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big milestone! Finished dis-assembly and got the body and frame delivered for acid dipping.

Metalworks in Eugene, OR has a great rep and I was immediately impressed with the care they took in handling the car and parts during the drop off. They are going to do a great job!

Project will get a lot more fun from here on out as it is re-assembly with clean and/or new parts!

Year and Model: 1968 el Camino
Engine Specs and Modifications: Will be GM performance crate Big Block, probably ZZ502
Drivetrain Specs and Modifications: Will be Speedway or Currie 9 inch housing with 3:40 Posi. GM performance auto trans (probably - my son is trying to talk me into 5 speed)
Suspension Specs and Modifications: QA1 level 3 suspension package
Exterior Specs and Modifications: Will be stock(ish) sheet metal. Adding SS hood and badging. Black with white '69 style SS stripes
Interior Specs and Modifications: Stock black vinyl with upgraded buckets and adding console
Electrical Specs and Modifications: All new, upgraded wiring harness

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Your 68 looks good and straight. Best of luck on your build. Looking forward to seeing your accomplishments.

·
Registered
256 Posts
After paint and rust removal, do they give it a protective coating, or will you be taking it to a different shop for new primer/paint?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They spray a rust inhibitor which is good for indoor storage. I will be having it delivered to body shop to begin panel repair etc. Body shop will spray entire thing with epoxy primer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I would post an update. Got the body back from dip shop about a month ago. Wow! Clean and rust free. "Rust free" means holes where the rust used to be. At least it is stopped and we can now see clearly what we have and what needs to be fixed.
Body work is underway. New floor pan, new back of cab and rear shelf installed. Next up are both quarter panel skins, dash metal and the "rear seat pan" (same pan that is rear seat floor board for sedan, but on el Camino is it under the front of the bed." Once the body "shell" is done, can move on to doors, fenders etc. Good news is that rockers, doorjambs etc. are all really solid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also had the frame acid dipped. Good thing as it uncovered some rust through on the section just below the battery. I did the patching and welding myself and pretty happy with how it came out. I took 4 years of metal shop in High School becuase it was fun and to get out of "real classes." Turned out to be a valuable skill later in life ;) and it is still fun.
Frame is now at the Powder Coating Shop. Can't wait to get it back, see how it looks and to start assembling the new suspension kit (QA1 Level 3 with Coilovers etc.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts