El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this also on the Chevelle site, but I figure the more people that see it may make it bear fruit.

I am almost at the point of planning to put either Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air in my 64 Elky.
The car is an original factory air car but all that was long gone before I got it.
I have searched and searched for the dash vents to no avail.
Does anyone know of a place to source them??
I emailed Vintage Air to ask if the vents they have for the 66 and 67 dash will maybe work in a 64-65.
They said they don't know. Not much of an answer, huh?

Any ideas would really help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE:
I was continuing my search and found some repro vents at Ausley's Chevelle Parts. They say they will work for 64-69, so I ordered a set and will see if they do indeed fit.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,725 Posts
UPDATE:
I was continuing my search and found some repro vents at Ausley's Chevelle Parts. They say they will work for 64-69, so I ordered a set and will see if they do indeed fit.
They won't. 64-65 are different than 66-67 and are almost impossible to find. They look the same but, the diameter of the vent ball is different and, the shape of the vent bezel for the 66-67 doesn't fit the 64-65 dash corners. Don't know about the later (68-69) but, I am pretty sure they will be different also.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found some on Jegs site.
They are a funky looking white plastic so you have to paint them.
I really want the original chrome ones but can't find a source for 64-65, only 66-67.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have a local chrome shop, they may be able to do them for you....and it'll be better than the original chrome finish.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
In all my years of owning a 64, I have never seen AC vents in the dash. I have seen some after market dash gauge replacements that have a square hole above the radio but that's it. Please post pictures of where these ac outlets are. Really curious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In all my years of owning a 64, I have never seen AC vents in the dash. I have seen some after market dash gauge replacements that have a square hole above the radio but that's it. Please post pictures of where these ac outlets are. Really curious.

Look at this site. can't say for sure that the parts are still available, but the pics show the dash parts you are looking for. Look under Chevy Trucks. under1981.com.
Dwight66

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you look at the lower corner of the dash, you can see the hole that is for the original factory air vent.
My El Camino also has the dash bezel vent for the center A/C vent above the radio, which is original to the car, not after market.

IMG_0013.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you look at the lower corner of the dash, you can see the hole that is for the original factory air vent.
My El Camino also has the dash bezel vent for the center A/C vent above the radio, which is original to the car, not after market.

View attachment 131927
Not sure if you saw this!!

Look at this site. can't say for sure that the parts are still available, but the pics show the dash parts you are looking for. Look under Chevy Trucks at this site. . under1981.com.
Dwight66

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,725 Posts
This is a 65 but, 64 and 65 are the same. Factory air trucks came with vents in the dash. The bezels are plastic but, I molded mine in and painted them to match the dash.

Reactions: wihaltom

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Thanks everyone for the pictures. This old dog can still learn a thing or two. I have after market A/C in my 64 and all the vents are under the dash. So these elky's that came with A/C did they also come with backup lights and emerg lights?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at this site. can't say for sure that the parts are still available, but the pics show the dash parts you are looking for. Look under Chevy Trucks at this site. . under1981.com.
Dwight66

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted this also on the Chevelle site, but I figure the more people that see it may make it bear fruit.

I am almost at the point of planning to put either Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air in my 64 Elky.
The car is an original factory air car but all that was long gone before I got it.
I have searched and searched for the dash vents to no avail.
Does anyone know of a place to source them??
I emailed Vintage Air to ask if the vents they have for the 66 and 67 dash will maybe work in a 64-65.
They said they don't know. Not much of an answer, huh?

Any ideas would really help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the ball vents from Ausley's. I will just get the dash vent bezels from Jeg's and paint them to match the dash when I to that point.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have not tried this myself, but looked good on TV.
I've tried a few chrome spray paints, not good results for the surfaces like the 75 AC vents I was working on. The pens for the narrow trim work pretty well. Here is a post about the Molotow stuff:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts