El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am new to this forums and i just wanted to say hello and thanks in advance. but im not just sayin hello :p i actually have a problem with my mino. I can get it started but when its idling it will stay at a low rpm then just die down and the only way to keep it running is to rev the carb. however when i do rev the carb i get a backfire with an eight inch flame shooting out of the carb. My question is does my distributor look one tooth off. i read to check put the timing mark at zero on the compression stroke and pull the dis cap off and if the rotor is pointing towards sparkplug one then its all good. now my rotor is pointing at the general direction of cylinder 1 put its not pointing directly at the spark plug wire wat do u guys think
(in the second picture the screwdriver is the direct path that the rotor is pointing and where my hand is is right where the sparkplug is)

http://i42.tinypic.com/59twt5.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/5b4fu8.jpg

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Welcome to NECOA, Zach. You need to be sure you are on the compression stroke for #1. The rotor needs to point to the terminal in the distributor cap where #1 plug wire attaches, not the actual location of the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
how about some details leading up to this concern..........that may help

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
From the photos you seem to be in the ballpark. Have you tried rotating the distributor in either direction to see if it improves the way your motor runs?
Did you have the dizzy out? If so, it should have found it's way back to the right spot because of the oil pump drive. If you cranked the motor with it out you need to start @ square 1.
You should be able to swing that dizzy enough to see a difference.
Is it hard to turn over? If so it could be too far advanced. A small rotation makes quite a change so go easy. Check for vacuum leaks if you had the carb off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you actually timed it with a timing light? As long as you're close to number 1 and you have enough room to move the distributor to obtain the proper static timing which tooth you're on doesn't matter. Sounds like your timing is retarded. As was mentioned before move the distributor counter-clockwise to advance the timing and clockwise to retard. Looking at the picture you may not have enough room to move the distributor for proper advance but don't do anything before you put the timing light on it. If the advance can keeps you from having the room to advance the distributor enough then rotate the rotor one tooth clockwise.

Also double check the firing order. Two wires in the wrong spot will allow the car to run but make for some interesting pyrotechnics from carb or exhaust.

ErnieR

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Zach
x2, if it runs your close,,
set the timing with a light, with the vacuum advance disconected, shoot for about 10* to start with..
if you run out of room to swing the dist. you can move the wires around the cap one or two positions..
double check the firing order, 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 ..:texas:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts