El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question and this is bugging me.

I built a 383 for my 76. I like the power available however it seems as though it has a taste for a little more oil than I would like it to have. I pull the plugs and they are burning correctly, nothing is fouling out, its not running ragged and has no leaks. Still it seems to go through about 1 qt. every 600 or 700 miles. Since I've never had this type of set up I can't tell if this is normal or not.

Is that about right? I've been told that these high perf engines just do use a bit of oil. My definition of "A bit" seems to be different than the other persons. Any comments?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
I'm with you on this. That sounds like to much. A quart every 2-3000 miles yes. Every 6-700 NO! Are you puffing any blue smoke?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No smoke at all. I completed the engine about March this year and as far as miles I think close to 3000 Miles.

Crank Shaft: Scat 9-10442, 3.48" stroke, 2.10" Crank Pin, 5.7" min. rod length, 2pc rear seal.
Rods: Scat 2-350-6000-2100 SB Chevy 6.000" length bushed rods for 2.100" Crank Pin.
Pistons: Keith Black Silv-O-Lite Signature Series Pistons 10.3:1 @ +0.030
Cam: Competition Cams Xtreme Energy XE268 Cam kit.
Specifications:
* Advertised duration: 268 intake/280 exhaust
* Duration at .050 in. cam lift: 224 intake/230 exhaust
* Gross valve lift: .479 in. intake/.480 in. exhaust
* Lobe separation: 114 degrees
* RPM range: 1,800 to 5,800
Pete Jackson Gear Drive
Proform Extruded Billet Aluminum Roller Rockers: 1.6:1 Ratio
Edlebrock 64cc Performer RPM with straight plugs Heads (1500 - 6500 RPM)
Edlebrock Performer RPM Air Gap Intake (1500-6500 RPM)
Edlebrock Performer 750 CFM Carb
DynoMax Shorty Headers
Dual Exhaust (Flowmaster set up)
Stock HEI Distrubitor
Mildon HV Oil Pump
Mildon Oil Pan

Lutani (sp) Gapless rings.

No noticable blowby. Pulled the plugs, like I said, and they were nice and clean #1 was a little bit gray but nothing to get excited about.

It all looks great, If I didn't own it and drive it I'd say that there was no problems at all by taking it down and looking at it. No leaks, well I did have a tiny seep on the right valve cover but I tightened it down, it was loose, last night. It never spotted the driveway ir smelled.

I am baffeled.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
1 quart every 600-700 miles is excessive. Now that you've tightened the valve cover, see if it stops. While your at it why not go around and tighten all the valve cover bolts and oil pan and timing chain cover and etc etc etc.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Pete;

Asked a friend about your quandry...and have a couple questions for you. No where did you mention what type of oil you're using. Jim recommends a straight 40 wt. for your type of engine. He thinks you maybe using too light an oil. Also, have you checked your PVC for blow by?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went from a 10W 30 Dino Oil to a 10W 30 Synth (Mobil 1). PCV is working it was a new one and one of the first things I checked. I've also been chatting with others. It seems that your friend is probably correct and that I am or should expect that this engine will use a fair amount of oil considering what I am suppose to be producing (~420 ponies).

I was told by two racers that I should expect this and I should probably switch to a 20W 50 to reduce the amount used. Out of four mechanics only one says that it didn't "seem" normal but admitted he didn't have a lot of hands on with high performance engines.

This is the first really nice engine I have ever built and so I was freaking out. I've had it looked at several times this past several days by lots of guys that are suppose to know what they are talking about. I have a better feeling about it.

In the mean time power braking and testing I've developed a Torque converter problem with a new B&M Stall converter. B&M Says that I got a "Cheap" version of their converter and I should switch to "their" higher priced version. And ..... The warranty is as worthless as the torque converter.

So I have to find a better converter and I am pretty sure I have a person that will build me a converter for less money and will guarantee it for a full year no "Ifs, Ands or Buts".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts