El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the bar Monday , and was hoping to take it off an elcamino at the junk yard, but they couldn't find any that had it so they took it off an 80's Malibu, which in theory shoudl work, how ever I didn't see how it was arranged on the car and now that mines on I'm stuck in park and can't get out. The only thing I can think of is Its not set up right or the transmission is shifted into a different gear

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it looks correct. some use a slightly offset bracket on the trans but both work.does the trans shift without the linkage and the same for the column ? i have had an issue with the parking paw actuator rod jamming up and stopping it from shifting from park

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The coloum is fine but, is the transmission suppose to turn both towards the front and then shift to the rear like an old dirt bike, because mine will only rotate towards the front ( counter clock wise)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shouldn't it be able to rotate back words though, it was originally in neutral and I thought I had shifted it to park, but it only wants to rotate one way, so i haven't a clue what gear I'm in

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if its not in park at full clockwise there is an issue inside the trans and you should talk to trany mike he is a trans expert and wont steer you wrong

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have seen the nut inside the trans come loose that holds the shift quadrant to the shaft come loose and make it not shift in or out of gear. its on the inside end of the shaft that the linkage hooks to you can see it with the pan removed. you will also see the parking paw actuator rod attached to the shift quadrant and where it goes into the parking paw access hole near the back of the trans

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll have to put this off for a while as I don't feel like dropping the pan where the car sits in the back yard, and I'll have to convince my dad to tow it up to the front drive way, thank you for your help

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the position it is in in the original first pic should be park and should rotate counterclockwise from there. if not pull the pan and look at the linkage inside its very simple,there is a (s) link that moves the range spool and the rod for the parking pawl. something is either loose or bent/broken. if the nut that holds the shift quadrant to the shaft is loose it can let it move enough to jam the linkage at the detent spring that rides on the quadrant to index the gear positions. you will see the long flat spring with a roller on the end that stops on each notch for each gear range on the quadrant. pull the pan and see .as i said it is pretty simple.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i am out of state and on my laptop so i dont have access to a trans to send you a pic of what it should look like.send tranny mike a pm and he will help you with that. hes a good guy and ownes a trany shop.you can trust what he tells you

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I bought the bar Monday , and was hoping to take it off an elcamino at the junk yard, but they couldn't find any that had it so they took it off an 80's Malibu, which in theory shoudl work, how ever I didn't see how it was arranged on the car and now that mines on I'm stuck in park and can't get out. The only thing I can think of is Its not set up right or the transmission is shifted into a different gear
A couple things:

1. I assume you have the key turned on. It won't shift out of Park if the key is off.
2.The long shifting rod gets pulled up to go into park. That should rotate the trans bracket clockwise.
3. The long shifting rod pushes down to shift out of Park.
4. The lever looks like it's straight in line with the long shifting rod. That may have it in a bind.
5. The bracket on the trans looks like it may not be in Park (park is fully clockwise)

On mine, when in Park, the "lever arm" on the short cross rod, that the long shifting rod connects to, almost hits the floor pan. Yours is farther off. Not sure that's significant.

Jack

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shifter linkage

1. Place shift lever in neutral position of the shift indicator. 2. position tranny shift lever in neutral detent. 3. Install clamp spring and screw assembly on equalizer lever control rod. 4. Hold clamp flush against equalizer lever and tighten clamp screw finger tight. 5. No force to be exerted in either direction on rod or equalizer lever while tightening screw. 6. Tighten screw securely. 7. Ignition key must move freely to the lock position when the shift lever is in park and not any other position.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you watch his vid he tried to move the trans lever itself and it didnt move. from here looks like the trans is jammed up internally.he has the early shift linkage which will work.i have had both on my 86. i always adjust them in park instead of neutral.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts