El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im redoing my entire 1978 el camino and will have a website for it soon. 1st lets help a few of you out with headliners. 1. dont buy stuff off ebay, a fabric shop has it all and you wont have to pay shipping.

Lets get started.
1. measure the overall width of your headliner and add 6 inches.
2. measure the overall width of your headliner and add 6 inches.
Youll now need to drive to the fabric shop and buy a foam backed material. This comes in many colors and most fabric shops know what you need if you say its for a headliner. Also pick up a can of 3M spay glue. I can get you a part number, But the can is about $10.00
3. Remove your trim. with that said now is a good time to replace those old clips. If your cheap you can reuse them, aslong as you dont break them off.
4. lay your headliner down on a flat surface, not the hood of your car.
5. pull whats left of your headliner material off, be easy.
6. Using a wire brush rub the cardboard or foam headliner to get all the old backing off. this stuff comes off very easy, But takes some time.
7.inspect your headliner backing. in most cases its broke pretty bad or even apart in some places. This is an easy fix. tape them back using duct tape. besure the tape is NOT on the side your putting the new material.

Now you should have a clean one piece headliner backing.

8. Spay a nice layer of glue on the side your installing the new material. Allow this to sit at least 5 mins.
9. Now spray a final coat of glue on.
10. fold the material in half, try not to make a hard fold.
11. set the fold in the middle of the headliner board and very slow role it out.

Now your new material should be laid out on the board.

12. Use your hands and lightly rub it to make sure all areas are laid down.
13. Use a shart new razor blade and trim the over hanging material.
14. reinstall the headliner.

This should take NO LESS then 1 hour. Dont rush it!
If you dont follow these steps your headliner may not last as long as you had hoped. I plan to include step by step photos on my website.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ok i know this is anold topic, but i was looking into fixing the headliner of my '75 see i was searching old posts, i was wondering if there is a website of pictures of the step by step procedure??aswell being hte first time i take down a headliner how many of these clips should i be ordering?? as i will try not to be cheap :p

if anyone else has some tips or feels that somehting shoul dbe added let me know.
thanks alot
RH

·
Registered
181 Posts
COILED1 said:
ok i know this is anold topic, but i was looking into fixing the headliner of my '75 see i was searching old posts, i was wondering if there is a website of pictures of the step by step procedure??aswell being hte first time i take down a headliner how many of these clips should i be ordering?? as i will try not to be cheap :p

if anyone else has some tips or feels that somehting shoul dbe added let me know.
thanks alot
RH
what about making the headliner board for the foam backed fabric. I have a chopped top and need to start at square one. thanks
Ed ke6bnl

1 - 3 of 3 Posts