El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the question....
does the value of the vehicle go up or down depending on the paint job.
1980 Elky ,229-v6 rebuilt ,original everything including the tires .( in storage)
Original color was light CAMEL METALLIC,body stripped to bare, all body work done,no rust , 1 dent, car now in primer.
is it smart ? to change the color with a custom paint job , or do the original color over .
Just looking for opinions .
Thanks !! :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Yes, paint color will make a difference to SOME buyers. Also, the paint on the vehicle is more important than the color. A poor paint job will not garner the same price as a well-done paint job. Some people will want the original color (that's provided they can prove what the original color was), and some will accept a color change. Realize that a good paint job in either color only has a small bearing on the price.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
As far as resale value goes if that's what you're asking,(good) paint (&good bodywork) will help out value as much as anything else will. Of course value is what it's worth to you or a future potential buyer & is all relative to what it can be sold for to the right buyer. Original small v-6 is not a highly sought after item that most would want to swap out.
My opinion on color, pick one you like that will look good on vehicle that others should like also. Spray over a good blocksanded straight body, do doorjambs, bed etc, colorsand & buff to perfection & enjoy. Even some stock class winning vehicles have went with later model (enhanced appearance colors). Labor is the biggest expense, go for something better.
As far as me , I'm stickin with mostly black, although next full paint job I want to go with a deeper black than the old GM code, which has a hint of brown I,ve recently found out.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Remember the adage: You get what you pay for. I tried to cut corners on my re-paint and save a few $$$. I left off having the door jams, under hood and bed re-painted, and I really regret it now. Cost was only $2500, however had I spent about $4000, to get it done right, I would feel a lot better today. Check cowl tag for original paint code.

·
932 Posts
Paint color will make a big difference on value as well. Even if the bodywork and paint are immaculate a black or nice blue paint job will be better recieved then a soft green or yellow . If you have an undesireable color on your vehicle when you try to sell it the ,paint will actually be used to lower the price .

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply to all
1) THANKS for the opinions
2) this will not be just body, it will include underhood, door jambs, bed etc
3) I have confidence in my ability, as this is my side job, restoration and paint of classics and street rods
my problem is the original color was light metallic palimino (lt. brown ) and I was thinking more along the lines of a 2012 copper metallic bottom and a champaigne top,including the upper crease at the bed line... Decisions , decisions, decisions !! :beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts