El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys...
My '82's passenger door is in bad shape ; doesn't close well, cause of Badly worn( no bushing) hinges , rust all the way along the bottom inside rail, outside rust hole at the front corner , leaks... And to top it off, this week, Both door latches broke off, inside and out! I guess everything Could be fixed, but seems like a lot of body work , and probabally a lot of $$ . I'm thinking just of replacing it . I found a boneyard door from an '80, that's in real good shape (including the hinges) for $90 ; the only problem is that it's an electric door ; I know there was a recent post on electric to manual conversions, but no replys....
What do y'all think.... Fix it, Replace it ?? If y'all think 'replace' , can I make the electric door work? My interior panels are in OK shape, so I hope to re-use them. The whole car needs a re-paint, so I'm not afraid to go Primer color for a awhile. If y'alls opinion is that the electric door wont work, any advise on where to buy doors? ( I think a remeber a post about this as well...) btw, I've already done the hinges on the drivers door.... it's in good shape.

thanks for the advise,
jeff
Orlando

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Sorry,

If the guts to your old door are good then replace it hinges and all. It is not all that hard to pull all that out of the doors.

I went the other way mine were originally manual and I got the kit from A1 Electric to conver the doors to electric windows, locks and I added poppers. The doors weigh a tone and then some so a good friend would be handy. You can replace the door pins. Most Auto supplies have the pins.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jeff, buy the ele. door.
I just went through this with my 81. got hit in front fender and door. new door is $600= bare, used, I gladly paid $200 for complete used door{tampa}
I got the fender at the local u-pull,$25 {malibu}.
It is not too hard to rebuild the door{swap window regulators and lock} use all your original stuff{if good} or replace rubber with new stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts