El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a New Door Handle for my 82. Has anyone used Dorman or Goodmark Handles from Summit? Which do your Perfer or is one better? Thanks Guys

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Your local auto parts store should them. Look on the "HELP" display.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try a swap meet there is always a guy with a box full of handles.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
door handles

Inside or outside go with GM handles, the extra expense is well worth it. The "made in Taiwan" handles won't last very long- I speak from experience.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have some used GM interior and exterior handles.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yes on the original gm handles. they are the best out there. the cheap ones dont fit well or last long

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everyone,Speedy86 PM on what you want for a pair Left and Right The right or passenger side is broke now but never hurts to have the other one also. Thanks Bud

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced The door handle on the Passenger side today.Manys Thanks to Speedy86 for the handles.
Have one question? Maybe someone else has had this problem before.Door opens easy one hand with window down.Roll up window all the way and have to use 2 hands and pull all the way up hard to open door . Is the window tilted in to far putting pressure on door? Only thing i can think of?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Try rolling the window down 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if that helps. If you are still having the same problem look at the door latch. If it opens freely there is a bolt near the top of the door loosen and it will stop the glass before it gets jambed into the weatherstripping.

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A 1/4 Turn of the Handle did the trick just backing it off a bit actually Thanks. The one i replaced was a replacement handle it twisted and bent the arm that moves the rod. Thanks

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you can find ORIGINAL GM ones, use them. New GM ones are the same imported parts that Dorman/Help sell. They just cost $50 instead of $15. ( 10 years ago I ordered GM handles for a '79 Trans Am because the Help items looked cheap, and paid three prices for the same piece). I would be surprised if anyone sells one that's not a rebox of the Help part. There's no casting marks to identify it, so why not. If a vendor reads this and has a different part, please share that info!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just replaced my 86 handles and used gm ,they had the exact markings as the originals were not tiwan crap .expensive yes fit perfectly nice and tight ,beutiful crome and vacumm packed in gm wrappers.i had those help section ones and the lasted 3 years and were done ,you can put that crap on your car if you want, no thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
i just replaced my 86 handles and used gm ,they had the exact markings as the originals were not tiwan crap .expensive yes fit perfectly nice and tight ,beutiful crome and vacumm packed in gm wrappers.i had those help section ones and the lasted 3 years and were done ,you can put that crap on your car if you want, no thanks
Yeah, made in Mexico. Crap is crap!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts