El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the door jam of my 86 El Camino there is this https://imgur.com/vDcBbQX
I don't even know what it's called but on my drivers side it snapped off. i was wondering if anyone knows what it's called or where i can buy them.

Hopefully i put this post in the right area

thank you

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I bet he wishes you hadnt posted the price... wow....
Yea, I think the ebay dude with the GM original part NEW was looking for $170 (or something like that). I see this part for sale at swap meets for about $10 usually. IOW, a product for every price-point. I love new GM parts (but not for $170 when I can buy a good used one for 10 or 15 dollars).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Not sure where yours snapped off but on my drivers side this section snapped off, So what i did was, i drilled a small hole in both ends(so JB weld could oze inside for a stronger bond),joined them back together with Plastic JB weld.... 10 yrs later its stil there. hope this help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that your picture is of a Seat-Belt-Tension-Release ("SBTR"). My recollection is that the SBTR mounts in the door jamb and the back end of it extends into the seat belt mechanism.

See following for replacement:https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-BELT-TENSION-RELEASE-NOS-GM-LH-78-87-EL-CAMINO-MONTE-CARLO-MALIBU-GM2025/153419050888?fits=Model:Monte+Carlo&hash=item23b87cef88:g:FJQAAOSwAx9cLa54

Prior NECOA thread on this issue: https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=72209
Thank you so much, I don't think I would have been able to find it on my own

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure where yours snapped off but on my drivers side this section snapped off, So what i did was, i drilled a small hole in both ends(so JB weld could oze inside for a stronger bond),joined them back together with Plastic JB weld.... 10 yrs later its stil there. hope this help you.
When I bought my car it was already snapped off, otherwise I would try your method

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,313 Posts
send Kevin ( O. D. Showtime ) a PM to see if he has any of them ? He has a lot of parts
I know I have some in my huge piles of parts if I can find them, Will try to look tomorrow for them !

Will need to know driver or passenger side ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
send Kevin ( O. D. Showtime ) a PM to see if he has any of them ? He has a lot of parts
I know I have some in my huge piles of parts if I can find them, Will try to look tomorrow for them !

Will need to know driver or passenger side ?
I will need a driver side, a set that would be perferable, i like symmetry

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine never worked right anyway. Replacement seat belts kits don't use them.
Got rid of them and patched the holes.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
They break for two reasons. They get dry and grit in them and are too hard to move. The seat belt unit needs lube also so it moves easier.
If you just replace it and don't take care of the underling lube problem it will just break again.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I replaced my seat belts with complete new set for $199.99 , & a set of covers for the old holes $19.99 all from Dixie Monte Carlo . You don't need those retractors things with replacement . Most EC seat belts are 32 years old or older & don't work properly . I recommend getting new set for your own safety . I installed everything myself .

·
Registered
554 Posts
all of the above are great options. me, personnally,i tried to fix or do preventive maintenance and then if unlucky... pay the bucks. like 464elky said. while putting my elky back together i lubed mine here:

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
i used what i had around in the garage i think it was Lithium grafite (bearing/chassis) lube, but i'm sure any grease would work: red tacky for bearing Hubs, G.P. grease, moly, etc. Of course, nothing like vaselene,household type stuff,etc. you want it to stay and not wash away.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Seat belt tension release

Could somebody explain to me how these install? My '84 just came back from the paint shop and the body man removed them now I need to figure out how they go back in. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts