El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
my old door locks cylinders were seized so i picked a set (two locks, 2 keys) off the 'net for 25 bucks. just thought i'd share how i did and what i learned. the first lock took about two hours and lots of cursing and doing things the wrong way. the 2nd lock took about 1/2 an hour and went smooth as silk.

so here's what i'd do if i had to do it again:

roll the window down all the way so you can shine a flashlight down in there and you've got more room to work. take the interior door panels off (top and bottom on my '86). pull out the big C-clip that holds the lock onto the door with a pair of angled pliers. then do this:

you can twist that cylinder outside the door so you can get at that jesus clip holding it onto the rod assembly. trying to do this inside the door is INSANITY and i've got the knuckle scrapes to prove it. put the plastic bushing ring on the lock, then place the new lock in the door, making sure the key is in the NEUTRAL position on the cylinder and pointing straight up and down. slide the big C-clip onto the cylinder from inside the door. then put the small clip on that holds the rod assembly. this can be a little tricky 'cuz it's small, but it wasn't bad the 2nd time around and was actually easier than trying to do it outside the door, as twisting the lock back into the door on the rod and getting it positioned right was a pain in the butt.

new locks are nice and shiny, and turn great. i can finally lock my car and get back in it!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes,.. Max, so right, what a pain they are to install. Welcome to the 'door trim removal & cursing club'. Hope you super lubed everything you could get your eyes on, while the doors were apart. Aw,. you'll probably get the chance again when the window motor or lock solenoid freezes up. Ok... just kidding..::: - George
:nanawrench:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, thanks for the nightmares, george. i did lube the heck out of every moving part in those doors when i had 'em open, though. as an added bonus, i found the side-view mirror adjuster toggle in the bottom of the driver's side door. the grub screw that held it in place had loosened and it fell out of it's holder. now not only can i unlock my doors from outside, i can move my mirror to where i want it.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Just to maybe make things a little easier and not to criticize or highjack your thread, try this. With the door panels removed and the window up, take a small pocket flat blade screwdriver and pry the little end of the rod clip slighty up and off the the little arm connected to the back of the lock. Slide the clip off the arm and remove the rod. Then use a bigger flat blade screwdriver and insert it between the big "C" clip holding the cylinder to the door and the cylinder. Pry around the edge working it free of the lock cylinder.
To install the lock, do as described above except install the small clip on the lock arm before installing the the cylinder in the door and before installing the rod. Mount the cylinder back in the door and then push the rod through the clip until it snaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts