El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If like me the back of your door panels where the fastners (the plastic panel clips) attach are all messed up pulled out and such. This is what i did to fix it and it is working real good for me so thought i would share.

I took a washer about 1 1/2" to 2" used a grinder to make a slot in the washer about 1/4" wide and 1/2" long. Then i cut the back side of the panel (very carefully) about 3" or so from where the panel clips go. Slid the washer to the correct location and then installed new panel clips in the slot in the washer. I then glued and taped the slot in the panel where i installed the washer. The door panels are now held tight to the door.

Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You could also get an electric screw driver/gun and use some 1/4" sheetmetal screws and just go around the door from the outside and pull it tight. If you use enough of them then it looks like studded plastic...

Not....... I am just BS-ing, use a real drill and 1/2" wood bolts :D

Or........ You could buy new lower door panels to replace the bad ones?

Actually that is a good tip I did something like that for my 76 one or two of the holders were broken on the back and I used a washer and some JB Weld to re-make the "holes". Then I got new panels when they started making them, & I could afford them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Tazg,

If your door can only open from the outside, chances are one of the rods that work the latch mechanism have popped off or broke inside your door.

If you can open the door, you must remove the inside door panel and the paper / plastic vapor barrier from the inside. There are three rods that connect the inside handle, outside handle and the lock to the door latch mechanism. Follow the rods from your inside handle and then from the lock post on top of the door. Chances are that the rod has popped out of the clip that holds it (or the clip has broken), allowing the rod to come loose. Check all the connections to the latch mechanism. It is a simple repair. If the clip is broken, these should be available at auto parts stores (bring in the broken one to match it up as there are many kinds).

While you are in there, check all the clips and grease the latch and all rod connections / movements as well as the window regulator to keep the mechanisms going longer.

Good Luck,

Dan

·
1,867 Posts
Yea, Those little clips get briddle & break over time. Getting your fingers in there can sometimes be a pain.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I realize its been awhile since this thread was posted,
but I thought I would share the GM part #'s.
10161510 & 15600382 still available from the dealer for
about $.65 each

1 - 8 of 8 Posts