El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some old door pulls available. I'm thinking of recovering the metal strap with light tooling leather. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Iffin' that will make you happy, have at it. If the right color, it will look great!!!:nanawrench:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I have to do is find the time. I'm trying to get the El Camino ready for Belton, the T ready for our Nationals in Chattanooga mid June, and I have a custom guitar to finish by that meet as a raffle prize, too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mike, I took my pull straps to an auto/marine upholstery shop and handed them both arm rests for color match. They wrapped it with a new leather/vinyl texture material, then dyed it the same color as the arm rests. They look PERFECT on the door trim !! - George :yell:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm looking at something a little custom I can do myself. I'm arguing with just using some nice leather, gluing it on, with the seam to the inside, or turning it with the seam outside and doing a baseball stitch on it with nice lace, or using tooling leather and tooling "El Camino" into it, with the seam inside.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like that'll work, and probably look better than my plain straps. Last time I looked, OPGI in Calif. and Eckler's Chevy in Ga. sold cannisters of material dye, mix n match. You can probably dye the leather to an almost exact color. - Good Luck with it, wish I was that artistic,.. - George :smileyb:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure I'm going to get it done before Belton. Well, that's not true. I'm sure I'm not going to get it done, since I have a more pressing need to have the Touring T all spiffed up by the middle of June for our Nationals in Chattanooga.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts