El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 1984 elcamino redone but the guys can't get the door seals right.
They are over sized from the original and silicone based so the glue does not hold
resulting in the seals tearing off. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,861 Posts
Hi Phyran Reuss, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I used Steele Rubber brand on mine and they worked very well for me. Enjoy and have fun with your 84.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
57, thanks for the reply, just put my guy on to Steele Rubber. I don't repair, but just do routine maintenance, pamper and pay!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
The door weatherstrips (lower half) are held on with small plastic clips inserted in the weatherstrip with screws at the ends and should not require glue. The door glass (upper half) should fit inside the retaining channel screwed to the roof and pillars. The factory did use glue to help hold them in place but if the new weatherstrip is installed correctly and the correct size glue is almost un-necessary. I've heard the guys here mention the Steele rubber more than once. I haven't had to replace mine yet but that seems to be one of the most recommended brands. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw a video showing somebody scuffing the underside of the weatherstripping to help it glue better. Steele rubber is nice but I think insanely priced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The door weatherstrips (lower half) are held on with small plastic clips inserted in the weatherstrip with screws at the ends and should not require glue. The door glass (upper half) should fit inside the retaining channel screwed to the roof and pillars. The factory did use glue to help hold them in place but if the new weatherstrip is installed correctly and the correct size glue is almost un-necessary. I've heard the guys here mention the Steele rubber more than once. I haven't had to replace mine yet but that seems to be one of the most recommended brands. Good luck!

Joe
Thanks Joe, they hace tried the screws but the seals are actually ripping off around the screws, From what I understand the new seals a bigger than the originals. I'll pass all this on.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Thanks Joe, they hace tried the screws but the seals are actually ripping off around the screws, From what I understand the new seals a bigger than the originals. I'll pass all this on.
If it is ripping off with the screws then something is way off. Without seeing the actual problem in person I would only be guessing (and diagnosis over the net is marginal at best.) If the new seals are that much bigger my only guess would be body fit too tight or wrong weatherstrips. I will be interested in knowing how this works out.

Joe

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
Pay it now or pay it later ! You won't find better than Steele !! I've used their products on two vehicles and have a friend that has used a lot of their products. Their just plain very good people.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got a set Mikes Montes about a year ago and replaced mine. Fit like a glove! All the proper plastic push-in lined right up. And if you get the ones that he calls upgraded they have washers molded into the robber at the top where the screws go in to hold them in place. Just use a little bit of 3-M weather stripping glue at the tops and your are good to go.
I don't remember what brand they were though.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I saw a video showing somebody scuffing the underside of the weatherstripping to help it glue better. Steele rubber is nice but I think insanely priced.
I understand your aversion to the high price but I can tell you I was replacing weatherstrips on GM cars in the 80's when they were new and I can say for a fact that GM owned the crown for insanely priced! If you think about it though, you're replacing rubber that is 35 years old and if that new insanely priced replacement lasts that long and fits/works for another 35 years? It might actually be a bargain!

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a set Mikes Montes about a year ago and replaced mine. Fit like a glove! All the proper plastic push-in lined right up. And if you get the ones that he calls upgraded they have washers molded into the robber at the top where the screws go in to hold them in place. Just use a little bit of 3-M weather stripping glue at the tops and your are good to go.
I don't remember what brand they were though.
VinnyD, Thanks ordered a set, hope they work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts