El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
John, It's a simple swap once the new sets are purchased..Either get them from the above as Randy has it. or from Steel Rubber products from where I purchased mine. let us know if you need help!!

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
It will make it easier to get the outer one if you take the lower door panel off and loosen the bottom window stop to let the window go down lower than normal. Just don't forget to set it back.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
It will make it easier to get the outer one if you take the lower door panel off and loosen the bottom window stop to let the window go down lower than normal. Just don't forget to set it back.
X2 on what Neil said. It took me abot 10 minutes per side on the outer felts. The inner ones are a little more tedious. mine were attached to the upper door panel with heavy staples. I used a small flathead screwdriver and gently pryed them off. I then used a small drill bit on my dremel and enlarged the staple hole just enough to start the screw. Oh yeah, I had to buy small screws from Ace since I dont have a heavy stapler. The outcome was perfect. It took about an hour per side for the inner felts. I also bought new panel clips while I had the panels off. A nice easy job that i wasn't looking forward to. With the tutoring from the guys on the forum, Neil, I was able to finish them with no problem. Thanks Neil:You_Rock:

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
X3 on the window stop. A helper is a plus there too if power windows. To hold the panel and switch close so that you can move the window down after the stop removal and then back up to replace. beats having to remove the switch from the dooor panel completely. A 1/8" drill and rivets work nicely to reinstall the inner felt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nothing I can add that the posts have already written on the procedure.

Like you, I was a bit scared to make the changes of the felts. It was all a myth about being hard, it's a step by step job and very easy. Just be prepared to take some time, and have some music to sooth your nerves while you do the job. My hard part was using new door panel clips which were correct but too brittle to use, so I just used the old ones, and they went in fine ( bought those new clips at a Pep-boys and they stunk!! ).

·
6,209 Posts
Well you did add something Ron! Seems we all forgot to mention having some replacement panel clips handy this time...Except you of course.

:beer:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Those staples are horrible and those pieces were kinda expensive for what they are .... sadly i dropped a box on one of my felts , and bent.

great idea about using the dremmel.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Door window felt

X3 on the door panels clips. I VERY, Very carefully and slowly removed the staples and managed to re-use them. I like the idea of the dremmel and small screws.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Im doing mine right now. for removing the staples and used a side cutter and snipped them in the middle. I then used the little screwdriver and pliers to finish removing them. That was the hardest part. My new felts had 5 or 6 1/8 inch holes in them. I aligned the felt on the panel and drill the panel. I used a pop rivot gun to mount on the panel. Used a little grinder to trim the rivots down once done.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Price question

Eckler's is currently running a 15% discount on 'wishlist' items - so,
with shipping I can get a new set from them for my 1984 for $92 - :nanawoot:

Anyone know if there is a better deal elsewhere?:screwy:

I will check the link above in this thread in the meantime.:eek:ha:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is this it?

John, It's a simple swap once the new sets are purchased ... Either get them from the above as Randy has it, or from Steel Rubber products from where I purchased mine. Let us know if you need help!
Is the Steele Rubber product #80-0535-57?

·
6,209 Posts
Round bead....Quarter round I think it is...Is the same as OE. They will hug the window glass just a little better. At least the price holding. I just looked up the receipt and I paid $79.00 when I ordered a set in Feb/2010. Shipping was $13.95.

:beer:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I haven't even messed with the ones on the door panels yet. Did the outside ones which was cake. The door panels were stapled on and I didn't feel like getting a stapler ;P.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts