El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located a 700R4 and have started looking for a cross member. I've found one a jegs that says:
  • 1978-88 Malibu/Regal/Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/GN
  • Does not fit Cutlass Supreme or El Camino Models
Why would that not fit the El Camino?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,571 Posts
I used a dual hump crossmember from 84-96 crown vics and also lincolns of the same period only cost $18
here is the thread on it

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I have located a 700R4 and have started looking for a cross member. I've found one a jegs that says:
  • 1978-88 Malibu/Regal/Cutlass/Monte Carlo/Grand Prix/GN
  • Does not fit Cutlass Supreme or El Camino Models
Why would that not fit the El Camino?
I went with the GForce crossmember. It's a bit pricey but I would bet there's none stronger. RCG-700
Joe

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I used a dual hump crossmember from 84-96 crown vics and also lincolns of the same period only cost $18
here is the thread on it
these are extremely easy to remove also! 1 big nut/bolt each side, the end of each side has a rubber isolator (keep it!).
while these are powdercoated from the factory that does not mean they can't be scratched or have the powdercoating flake off (I should know after pulling about 20 of them at the jyard). grab a couple, then de-grease them using elbow grease, a brush, and soap or industrial de-greaser (there's no easy way).
as far as I can tell, these will fit ALL year Elkies.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
the only reason i'v heard the Jegs x-member did not fit
is with very worn-out body bushings, or thinner than normal bushings..
they let the body and floor-pans hang down lower than normal,,
this required denting the floor-pans for clearance.. but I think it still worked..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aloha to all, I bought a just overhauled/rebuilt 700R4 recently. It was built to run up to 550 H.P. I picked up a Lokar shifter for it and a new converter. I have a warmed up SB350 in MY 81 ElCamino with a TH350 tranny at this time. I know I will need to shorten and re balance my drive shaft for this conversion. MY QUESTION IS::Do I need to get another cross member for this conversion???? After reading the comments from the guys in the preceding questions and comments I started wondering. Any Info appreciated... Thanks, Renzo

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Renzo, are you in Hawaii? Welcome aboard from Miami, FL. I like to repurpose....OK, who am I kidding...I’m cheap, so I’d go the Crown Vic route as others more knowledgeable than me posted.

I’m running a built TH400. What advantages does a 700R have over a 400? Also, I’ve suspected my crossmember has been Redneck engineered. It looks “custom made”

Sorry to derail your thread. I’ll crawl under and post a pic soon of my setup. Thxs all.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
cheap option, look around there is a lot more out there..
link
universial+crossmembers
universal search
T350 = 22.250" inch,, plain-old 700R4 = 23" inch,,
trans mount pad is real close to the same distance from the front, with-in a inch
according to this auto-tranny-id
but
700's come in different flavors from different cars, in different years..
later model vetts and camaro's have different tail housings/mounts..

T200-4R and T400 are about ~28" inch..
Jegs x-mbr pics
trans xmember.jpg
Joe the 700R4 is a 4spd overdrive trans, with a lower 1st gear,
and not nearly as strong as a T400 if stock..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is my crossbar. Looks homemade. The tranny Mount is completely welded on all sides. If anyone has info, pls post. I need to eventually replace the mount bushing. **Some pics show a stainless bolt and nut. Those attach the custom seat rails. Thxs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
the only reason i'v heard the Jegs x-member did not fit
is with very worn-out body bushings, or thinner than normal bushings..
they let the body and floor-pans hang down lower than normal,,
this required denting the floor-pans for clearance.. but I think it still worked..
My G-Force came with instructions and a note about body mounts being worn out, and can cause clearance problems, luckily mine had no problems but the right (passenger) side is close, and I can see where there could be a problem if the mounts were worn out.

Joe

·
Registered
319 Posts
@JJLT1 Thxs for confirming. Yes, the pipes look awkward. Aside from funky welds/bends to avoid the crossbar, it appears to me that the exhaust guy did a pretty good job.
I’m running Dynomax mufflers. My car has an old school hot rod stance, w/275 x 15” tires. Ground clearance is not bad. Next up a rear sway. Already have the Ridetech front ordered.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
That trans mount looks like it's ready for replacement. The crossmember is a home built model but looks fairly sturdy. and the mufflers are tucked up pretty nice considering no clearance humps! I would back burner the crossmember for now and just replace the mount and see how it goes. My 2 cents spent!

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
  1. Aloha to all, Yep I live in Hawaii but get back to Arizona usually twice a year. Been over here about 20 years now. I leave my ElCamino and a Dual Sport Bike and a Road Bike at my Friends Place in Phoenix to use on the Mainland when I'm there twice a year for 5 or 6 weeks at a time. I have been building and restoring the ElCamino for about 4 years now. Almost finished except installing the 700R4 Tranny and some interior pieces. When I'm there I'm up and down the highways between California, Colorado, New Mexico, etc. pulling a bike trailer or just one in the bed.. Joecruiser ask why the 700R4 rather than the TH350 I'm running or a TH400. Answer is. the 700R4 is a 4 speed rather than 3 speed, the first gear is lower and the 4th gear is Overdrive with a Lock Up converter.. I can run one hot wire to the Lock Up Solonoid from a push pull switch on the shifter and lock up the converter in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and it stays locked up until cutting the power to the solenoid.. I have this same set up on my 53 Ford PU over here in Hawaii.. Anyway, Short story Long, theres your answer... I didn't really get an answer or info from anyone on my question, "Do I need to go to another Cross Member when changing to the 700R4 from the TH350??? Any info appreciated. Renzo on the Big Island

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Short answer, no. I had my 4l60e sitting on the original cross member for quite a while. Honestly all that was necessary was to drill 4 new holes in the frame and it would have worked. Bad part was the one sided exhaust hump. I really wanted that G-Force one and it sat on the original for 6 months until I had the funds for the one I wanted.

Joe

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I didn't really get an answer or info from anyone on my question,
"Do I need to go to another Cross Member when changing to the 700R4 from the TH350???
and the other short answer is Yes..
there is no one size fits all answer for every person/build.. see #8
cause we don't know what the 700 came out of, some are different..
what kind of x-mbr is in there now, if its original, is it a double-hump,
do you want a double-hump ??
or what your mod skill level is, and tools on hand..
youll need to do some measuring to know if its a normal length..
also Th350's come with different length tail housings too 6" 9" 12"
you may have to lengthen the drive-shaft..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roger that, Roger 1, just trying to maintain my Pilot speak.. I know what ya mean about the trans overall length. I had it up on the rack and measured last time I was over there and as I remember I need to shorten my drive shaft 3 3/8 in...You are right , thru the years for many different applications and models there were different tail shaft legnths.. I don't know if there were various trans body measurements with the 700R4 but it wouldn't surprise me. The cross member I used to install the SB350 and TH350 is a stocker. I had to use different holes already in the frame which was surprisingly handy from OEM. Usually, and especially nowdays when working on anything automotive throughout the work you just want to punch some ASE engineer in the nose so that was cool the frame was already drilled in as I remember 4 spots for different installations from the factory. Also my dual exhaust is finished out the back and the double hump is good for clearance. I was hoping I wouldn't have to change cross members for the tranny change. I'm really looking forward to getting the OD 700R4 in there. As I said before, I have the same setup in my 53 Ford PU over here on the BI. Thanks for the info, Renzo

·
Registered
319 Posts
One thing for sure...I learned a lot about trannies and xbars on this thread.
@roger1 Thats a really clean install, love the pipes tucked away.

Good luck OP...BTW, I toured the West Coast for 3 months in ‘18. Love AZ...been there lots.
Good luck on getting her back on the road!

Hiking the Superstition Mountains, 122 degrees middle of August and muling the Canyon
51C4F3DA-7435-4F63-81F8-E519864B704D.jpeg
51C4F3DA-7435-4F63-81F8-E519864B704D.jpeg
73BF3650-803C-4B4C-9A3C-D311A8AD3B1D.jpeg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts