El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw several good comments about KYB gas-ajust shocks on this site so when I needed to replace mine that's what I bought. The hardware packet for each shock contains two nuts, one about half as deep as the other. And the "instructions" show both nuts going on the shock. I've never seen this before -- is this the new standard or is it just the KYB way? I'm planning on using only one like I always have before and it's never been a problem. Has anyone used both on their shocks?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,771 Posts
I used both on mine ! I think with 2 nuts it keeps the one nut from loosening & coming off ??

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Yeah first the full size nut then the 1/2 nut on top.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
just looked only has one nut per shock on top these are kyb gas adjust p/o installed these on my g body wagon ,, i love the ride good luck:beer:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
that's why I love this site!

where else can you have nuts asking other nuts about nuts?

:dontknow:

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good one KS!

Okay, I'll put them on. I've had okay luck with front shock nut removers, only that the top of the shock eventually rounds when I get the nut about half-inch off. Maybe the top nut will chase the threads so then the bottom one will come off easily. I always end up dremeling off the nut anyway but always the optimist, I start with the shock nut removal tool.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
Keyser thats a cruck nut not just a regular nut askin other nuts about nuts.. gotta keep the nuts sorted..:texas:
and yes i'd use a jam nut if it dont have lock nuts. use 2 wrenches to tighten the nuts together..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts