El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, the Whole Shot is working me over. I've owned a few El Camino'sbut none that has put up as much fight as this one. I take 1 stap forward and get knocked back to blocks!!!!:let_it_all_out:
I've got an oil filter story to rival the guys 3 week one (some of you may remember)
Now it's carb. It came with a (NEW) Edelbrock that been torn down twice. The only way I can keep the motor running is keeping it tached at 1500RPMs!!
The I put the RottenChester on there and I have to keep the choke CLOSED to keep it under 2000 RPMs!!!!
I've had carb problems before but most of the time they spit and sputter but no not these two, they want to run WOT!!!
Anyways I just want to mercy shot to the head!!:dontknow:
Anyone else been here!!!!:poke:
Donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hey ddd sorry ol holeshot is kicking you down, i guess ya tried all the usual stuff, check for vacuum leaks ect ,,,,, also make sure you used the correct intake gaskets for your peanut port heads, if ya got a gasket kit they often come with rectangle gaskets,,,you did you check for gasket match before you put the intake on i hope,, if not i know what you are doing tomm:poke:i would almost bet thats the issue:beer:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carbs just one small spot on the paper!!!
I do know how to rebuilt (that) steering column now!!!!! (info I won't ever use again in my life)
I'll get-er done!!
Donny

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I'll send you an air filter box for it if it makes you feel better, That is after I finish this one & feel like doin another one from scratch.:poke:

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Donny been there, done that, got the tee shirt.
Been chasing carb issues with my 750 Edelbrock on my Rat.
Afraid she might embarrass me come the 8th of Sept.:twisted:
But she'll look pretty.

·
0 Posts
I think its a leak under the carb. And what's with the rottenchester jab? We all know a qjet outperforms the Holleys and Edelbogs...:poke:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I hate to admit it, but carbs is just something my thick brain never could work out properly. I could get 'em to run and run pretty good, but never optimal. It's probably the one thing I've always left to the pros. Luckily back in Alaska I had a few tech friends and a few six packs of beer later my cruck alway ran so much better! If it comes between dicking with my car for days on end about something I am struggling with, or calling in a favor, or even taking to a pro shop, I'll pick the latter, I don't wanna jsut see my car in the garage with the hood up, I wanna DRIVE IT! I'll pay a few hundred for carb tuning, I hate them so much. :poke:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Hopefully not, but could also suspect a manifold to head leak. Spraying something along the outside to head while running would detect a leak there unless it's internal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts