El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 that I bought as a parts truck. I don't have a title for it. Also, a tree fell on it a few years ago. There was some minor damage to the left rear quarter. It's also got quite a bit of rust. It currently has no drive train.
I'm thinking if dropping in a junk yard 5.3 with a cam swap, TH400 or TH350 with either a 10" or 8" convertor, an 8.8 rear with 4:88 gears and a 10"x28" slick. I think it would be around 3,200 lbs. and would hope for about 6,700 rpms in the traps.

I've looked online for the Pocket Dyno style formulas, trying to determine what this would run. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,477 Posts
I have a 1985 that I bought as a parts truck. I don't have a title for it. Also, a tree fell on it a few years ago. There was some minor damage to the left rear quarter. It's also got quite a bit of rust. It currently has no drive train.
I'm thinking if dropping in a junk yard 5.3 with a cam swap, TH400 or TH350 with either a 10" or 8" convertor, an 8.8 rear with 4:88 gears and a 10"x28" slick. I think it would be around 3,200 lbs. and would hope for about 6,700 rpms in the traps.

I've looked online for the Pocket Dyno style formulas, trying to determine what this would run. Does anybody have any ideas?
Probably low/mid 12s,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The stuff online said it'd go in the 6s (1/8), and I knew that wasn't right. My goal is 7.45 (1/8), and I want to keep it without power adders. I can always do more to the engine to get there.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Here is a link to Robert's '85 drag truck.
https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=184065

He is running 496 lb tq on dyno to the tires.
It took changes to suspension and weight reduction/transfer to hook up and get below 7 sec in 1/8th mile on 91 octane pump gas.

Lots of info in the thread about what changes were made along the way.
Truck was running about 6.6 sec and 102 in fall.
Engine is out and being freshened up.
Things like new rings, fresh oil, Brodix heads.... Stuff like that.

Go have some fun.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Robert's latest run at Fontana 1/4 mile was a 10.063 @ 133 mph. His last 1/8 mile run at Irwindale was 6.19 @ 109 mph and was spinning at half track. A little more tweaking will get him down in the 9's in the 1/4 and in the 5's in the 1/8. I think he's headed for a competition license in the future.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Robert's latest run at Fontana 1/4 mile was a 10.063 @ 133 mph. His last 1/8 mile run at Irwindale was 6.19 @ 109 mph and was spinning at half track. A little more tweaking will get him down in the 9's in the 1/4 and in the 5's in the 1/8. I think he's headed for a competition license in the future.
Thanks for the update Dale! I have been getting his YouTube vids as soon as he posts them - but there are no stats, and he has comments "turned off".
Good to know you guys at D&R RACING LLC are making huge improvements! I know others like myself would like to see him in some actual competition racing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts