El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of a restore. I took off the drip rail aluminum trim. I ended up chipping something out, Sealant?, out of the channel where the drip rail and the roof skin seam it. Was that something the PO did on his own to seal the seam as to not get moisture in between the seams? If so what should I put in there when I am ready to go to the next project on the car. I have an 81 base model.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Something like 3m ultra pro, comes in a tube and easy to work with for someone with not much experience. Once your primer is dry and all things are ready to paint the sealer is one of the last steps. Tape off where you want the sealer, if it's not visible it doesn't really matter, squeeze in some sealer and brush it out with an acid brush or even your finger. Let it flash for several minutes and remove the tape.

Read the tech sheet on dry times before painting etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something like 3m ultra pro, comes in a tube and easy to work with for someone with not much experience. Once your primer is dry and all things are ready to paint the sealer is one of the last steps. Tape off where you want the sealer, if it's not visible it doesn't really matter, squeeze in some sealer and brush it out with an acid brush or even your finger. Let it flash for several minutes and remove the tape.

Read the tech sheet on dry times before painting etc.
I don't understand the tape part. It is in a channel and not visible really after the drip rail trim is put back on. Sorry but body work is new to me and not sure what Flash means. Is to flash the same as saying to dry?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.