El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight, so the other day I replaced the alternator and power steering belts... oreilly sold me part number 7425 for the steering and 7445 for the alternator... they were the wrong belts... the alternator required part number 7460 and the power steering required number 7395... but neither or these were listed for my vehicle... an 84 elky with a 305... all part numbers are masterpro... any idea why my motor uses different belts?

· Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless the harmonic balancer, everything is stock.... brand nee alternator, brand new steering pump... I do know that the dampener bolt isn't the same as the one oreilly has for small blocks.... its the same thread and diameter of a big block dampener bolt...

· Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Seems like a big difference in belt length, from what they sold you, and what was required. Could always be a typo in their system. And of course the counter guy could have messed up.....hard to say....
If accessories were changed, it's whole different story. The good thing is that you found the correct size to make it work.
Some parts stores have a gadget to put the old belts on, to measure the length of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.