El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my divers side remote mirror. Mine has a serious case of the shakes when I drive. I dont need the bucket, or outer cover, just the mirror and the remote hardware. so color is not important.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Before you replace try removing the control knob from the trim panel and give it a twist or two in both directions while checking for improvement. Sometimes those cables stretched a bit and the slack can be taken up by the twist. If nothing happens one of the cables probably popped out of the crimp, then you will need a new one. But it's always worth a try!

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe
But i took the mirror out of the housing (bucket) I was able to see the swivel clip / pin in the left side had snap off so only the right side clip (and of course the cables) are holding the mirror in place.

Before you replace try removing the control knob from the trim panel and give it a twist or two in both directions while checking for improvement. Sometimes those cables stretched a bit and the slack can be taken up by the twist. If nothing happens one of the cables probably popped out of the crimp, then you will need a new one. But it's always worth a try!

Joe

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Guys, is that way to tighten controls so mirror doesn't move slightly over time from shutting doors? Thanks
I think they have a mind of their own but it is always worth a try. Don't get extreme but a twist or two will usually tighten up one that is loose. Keep in mind you are stretching the wire inside the cable and it will place some more stress at the pivot and can cause the cable to finally pop out like described like my87 posted a while ago. Good luck!

Joe

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Thanks Joe
But i took the mirror out of the housing (bucket) I was able to see the swivel clip / pin in the left side had snap off so only the right side clip (and of course the cables) are holding the mirror in place.
Bummer,,,,,,,,,,That makes a new one necessary, there is no way that I know of to re-attach the cable. Sorry.

Joe

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
the Fiero's and Corvettes had true electrical power mirrors, only some of the TA/Camaro's did. Some of the Vette's even had heated mirrors. I found a '86 Corvette set locally with wiring harness and all for about $60. when the time comes I'm sanding them down, painting them, and installing. I can't stand those little remote control wire-dongle types

1 - 10 of 10 Posts