El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Go buy some longer ones, use a thin wall socket take them out an put the longer ones in.

Then you can bleed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go buy some longer ones, use a thin wall socket take them out an put the longer ones in.

Then you can bleed.
Dang, okay thank you. That’s what I’ll do then.

At the moment I have no brakes as my pedal goes to the floor. There’s fluid in the lines but also alot of air. If I bled the front two disc brakes would I be able to brake with them? I just need to move the car a couple of blocks.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I got an old socket and ground it down around the sides. Just gravity bleed the rears, it takes a little longer but I think its the best way to get all the air bubbles out..

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
My initial thought would be to just replace both rear wheel cylinders. You already have no brakes. By the looks of the one this has not been a garage queen. Two new rear cylinders will have nice new bleeders and would be an easy swap.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
+1 to new wheel cylinders. They are inexpensive and a good idea on old brake systems such as ours. You would hate yourself if you kept these old wheel cylinders and then leaked brake fluid on your new brake shoes.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My new cylinders still have a shrouded bleeder like the originals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran into the same problem a while ago. I believe that arrangement is pretty standard on G-bodies. GM made a special tool—$$$$, if you can find one. I used a deep well socket with a hose through the drive hole. Similar to a prior post. Used a pair of vicegrips to turn it. Messy but it worked.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yep I would replace both hoses and cyls.. Spray the tubing down with Liquid Wrench or something like it a few days before installing..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts