El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wanting to do a dual alt setup, but all the kits I find are with AC and PS, which I don't have nor want. The motor is 350 with edlebrock performer I have a double groove water pump pully and tripple crankshaft pully. is there a braket online I can buy? And will I have to get a reverse direction alt? I know allot of ppl don't like two ALTs but I an going to have 3 15 inch kicker solo baric L7s , 8 6.5's, 8 tweeters, and two 3 inch speakers... I still wanna drive at night and have no dimming. I have two red top optimas, and gonna have a cap as well. Any help will be very apreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
One 140-amp alternator isn't enough, IF wired properly??? You'd need 4-ga wire from alt to battery.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Don't you guys watch "Hard Parts" on Speed channel. Joe recently installed a dual alt unit on a Chevy suburban. BS&F auto, bronx, New York.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have cable so no, is therd a YouTube vid?? I can watch it on there. And ill be close to 8k peak Im fairly confident just one amp wont be enough

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,606 Posts
you didnt mention what amp or amps you'll be running, but even on some of the biggest stereos i have had one high output alt is more than you will need.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,606 Posts
here is the formula you will need watts= volts x amps so most D class amps perform best at 14.4 volts so for example if your sub amp puts 1000watts rms @ 14.4volts

1000/14.4= 69.4 amps needed to run that amp balls out. also take into account this is amps required to run the stereo not the car aswell. if your running dual batteries that is good run a Cap 1.0 farad per 1000watts and per each amp being used and you will need to use the right guage wire to power the amps but I'm sure you know that.

more ?'s just drop a line

·
Premium Member
5,782 Posts
It might help a little to know that an alternator does not care which way it is spinning unlike generators. Forward , backward, upside down and sideways it works the same.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
one 200 amp alt and a pair of big deep cycle batts just for the sound systems should do all you need.mount the second alt where the ac compressor normally goes. you may have to do some fabrication but shouldnt be too hard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I did The math ill have roughly 4500 Watts rms and id need an alt tht puts out at least 312.5, just for the audio, and instead of having 5 caps can I just get a biger like 5 farad and run just one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts