El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got it done this weekend, took about 2-3 days of actual work, ran into some problems as always, needed a new fitting for my oil pressure sending unit, 60 degree bend so it didnt hit the headers, and of course, all the problems of getting long tube headers made for many cars to fit into this model :) i've got an 83 conquista, 305 stock(now with exhaust) I ran hooker comp headers back down 3"collectors, reduced to 2.25" through catco high flow cats, then through an H pipe, s bends around the frame, then out to two warlock mufflers, and boy does it sound great. its still changing, so i'll wait on sound clips, and im going to do a writeup, i knowa few people were waiting for some tips on this before they started their ventures....

the idle is nice and mellow, the whole rpm range is very smooth and deep, but it does have that dragster gargle while accelerating. Overall im pretty happy with it, just need to get some turndowns and some pics and we'll be good to go....i'll post pics soon.

oh, just wondering if maybe they sent me the wrong crossmember? there wasnt exactly room for the passenger side cat to sit flat...it doesnt really kill ground clearance, it just doesnt look as pretty, did any of you have any simlar experiences with this? i was under the impression it'd bea little bit better then that....might be calling gforce john and having him mod his crossmember a bit...that was really the only disappointment with quality overall...i sandblasted the headers and painted em wiht por20...which im hoping will stay on, 26 bucks for 8 ounces of paint seems quite expensive, lets hope it works...oh well suppose i should get back to work

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Both of my Cats fit fine with the G-Force member I got but mine was for a 700R4 set up so it is possible it sat back further than yours, I don't know. The 700R4 mounts back 5" further. The crossmember looked to be the same size on both sides.

I had to have the "H" rewelded about a month or so ago. It broke loose (Flowmaster American Thunder System) on the 76.

Anyway Congrats can't wait to hear it. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys, i have and '82 SS El Camino with a stock 305. Im thinking about putting headers on her and also some type of balancing pipe with no cats. i would like to hear some feedback on it before i get it done. Im not going to put on cats b/c in Texas it isnt required on vehicles 1982 and prior. hehe. Well if any of you have any i deas, advice or PICTURES, please let me know.

Thank you,
Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts