El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of these question has been asked before, but wanted to see if it would get different answers. What type of headers do you guys suggest. I have a 83 Conquista with 305 4bbl with an air pump system. Has anyone just used a cat-back system? ThanX

·
Registered
105 Posts
hey...i actually called summit...are you looking at headers or just catback? i was going to go with the 259$ "generic" kit from headers, came with everything cept cats to put it out in front of the rear tires nice kit works but the guy said it might require some "tweaking" as has been said before, tweaking sucks. anywyas he reccomended me the hooker super comp, 150$, you can get mufflers for 100 ea. and the S/Z pipe to drag along the driveshaft for like 20, then all you need is a tailpipe and some other straight pipe so it is onyl a little more expensive. You also will need the gforce crossmember(i spent about 2 weeks looking into both building my own and for a cheaper price, its not there, i do know someone who will make you one for 75, but he didnt have pictures yet, and i didnt feel like waiting, let me know if you want his info.

anyways, im doing my setup next weekend if the weather clears, i'll have tons of pics, prolly not a guide written up yet...but ill let you know how it goes!

just another note
http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/

is a great place for sound clips, and as far as muffler prices, that 100 each was for flowmasters...which im prolly not getting just because i am not a huge fan of the flowmaster sound, nor the performance, probably going with dynomax or edelbrock they've served me right in the past.

For parts im hopefully getting them from my friend who owns a business, he seems to be cheaper then summit on most big stuff not sure about exhaust, i can let you know prices when i get them, i do know he gets a 3500 supercharger for around 2800 for a v6stang(1, why would anyone buy a mustang, 2 why would anyone buy a v6 mustang?) :) silly ford

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
For the LT1 in my Elky I used Hooker SuperComp Long Tube headers. I also used the G-Force crossmember. After the headers it hits dual cutouts (not that I would open them on the street ;) ), then an X-pipe, Sweet-Thunder chambered exhaust mufflers, then over the axle and straight out the back. After the cutouts it's 2.5" pipe all the way. I've been told it sounds good when I drive it. So far I've only heard it from the inside and with no carpet I hear all kinds of noise. Need to get a friend to drive it so I can hear it.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Looking at the Hooker site it seemed like the SuperComps were tuned just a little better. I wanted the exhaust system to be something that I would not have to worry about as far as performance at a later date. Its way more then what the Elky needs now. Some day I may get stupid (happens a lot to me) and turn it into a 383. If I do I know the exhaust system can handle it.

I'm going to try and get some clips soon. But I need to go to someplace empty to get the clips of the cutouts open. The neighbors would never understand. And it may take a few tries to get them because its LOUD with them open and the camera may have a few problems with the volume. 8O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts