El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just needed some help deciding on an exhaust system. Right now I am looking for a basic/cheap setup I can run. I bough some nice longtube headers off craigslist. I am planning on putting the headers, from the headers go with a small pipes, then to 2 glasspacks and then out the sides in front of the rear wheels.

I was looking under my car and i dont have much ground clearance, specially if I am doing this. I was wondering if anybody had any pictures of dual exhaust in their car or any tips. I am trying to keep it loud, im still a youngin'.

·
0 Posts
I think you should run 2 1/2 pipe. There's enough clearance,you just have to clear the crossmember. I'm running 2 1/2 into dual Flowmaster 40 series though.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
How cheap? Exhaust usually isnt cheap:poke: i got my duals 2 1/2 pipe, 16" glasspacks and 22'+ of piping for my system and 2.5 hours of labor for $320.00

Now the 40 series steelbeast is talking about are expensive. Plan on adding at least $75.00 for those mufflers but they sure sound good.

Glasspacks for noise
Flowmaster 40's for good sound

If you want it loud get somewhere around a 16"-20" glasspack. That will make some noise. And they only get louder with time. Honestly you cant get a V-8 loud enough for me!

Tell us what you end up doing!

·
0 Posts
How cheap? Exhaust usually isnt cheap:poke: i got my duals 2 1/2 pipe, 16" glasspacks and 22'+ of piping for my system and 2.5 hours of labor for $320.00

Now the 40 series steelbeast is talking about are expensive. Plan on adding at least $75.00 for those mufflers but they sure sound good.

Glasspacks for noise
Flowmaster 40's for good sound

If you want it loud get somewhere around a 16"-20" glasspack. That will make some noise. And they only get louder with time. Honestly you cant get a V-8 loud enough for me!

Tell us what you end up doing!
The packing in glasspack's break down after about 2 years and it's "Pull me over because my car is too loud" time. Get ready for the noise and the stares from the old folks in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Does it really!:yell::yell::yell: i like loud! I am already noticing a difference an i have had the duals for 7 months.

Beast, you are fine as lomg as you coast my the cops and are off the gas!!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
You can also use oval pipe which is easy to find and not too much more money, like NASCAR used. You can gain some extra ground clearance that way and they look sharp.:secret:m

·
Registered
365 Posts
heres mine, the x pipe quieted the exhaust down a lot and I got two flowmaster 40's Delta flows which are supposedly a little quieter than the originals but they still sound good enough for me, so I would probably go straight back on a non racecar the difference is minimal any ways

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sounds like you are trying to do this exhaust on a very limited budget. For $225, you can order a universal dual glass pack kit from JC Whitney for long tube headers and exit in front of rear wheels. See http://www.jcwhitney.com/dual-exhaust-systems-for-long-tube-headers/p2006349.jcwx?skuId=194824&filterid=d257u0

Don't forget you still to buy need headers, header gaskets (gaskets that come with most headers are crap - you need gaskets for collectors and head) and dual exhaust cross member. My guess is that you will spend at least $200 on these parts used and $350 brand new.

My suggestion to you is to save your money and have a reputable exhaust shop do the following: i.) modify existing cross members for dual exhaust; and ii.) run duals from your exhaust manifolds. You may be able to find an exhaust shop willing to do the above for $300 to $350. When you get headers in the future you can sawzall off the front of the exhaust system and connect it to the newly installed headers.

I worked in an exhaust shop while going to college and I can tell you that when we would get slow the owner would offer crazy good deals just to get the money in. Shop around, tell us what you decide and take pictures before and after.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you are trying to do this exhaust on a very limited budget. For $225, you can order a universal dual glass pack kit from JC Whitney for long tube headers and exit in front of rear wheels. See http://www.jcwhitney.com/dual-exhaust-systems-for-long-tube-headers/p2006349.jcwx?skuId=194824&filterid=d257u0

Don't forget you still to buy need headers, header gaskets (gaskets that come with most headers are crap - you need gaskets for collectors and head) and dual exhaust cross member. My guess is that you will spend at least $200 on these parts used and $350 brand new.

My suggestion to you is to save your money and have a reputable exhaust shop do the following: i.) modify existing cross members for dual exhaust; and ii.) run duals from your exhaust manifolds. You may be able to find an exhaust shop willing to do the above for $300 to $350. When you get headers in the future you can sawzall off the front of the exhaust system and connect it to the newly installed headers.

I worked in an exhaust shop while going to college and I can tell you that when we would get slow the owner would offer crazy good deals just to get the money in. Shop around, tell us what you decide and take pictures before and after.
That's what I am going to do in a couple months but I can't drive the car right now because there is no exhaust system. I really want it to be drivable so i can sell the car i have right now and spend some money on that bad boy.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I was curious about making my exhaust loud as well.....this answered several of my questions :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts