El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased an excellent pair of Jounce Bars...
Bead blasted them..
Applied POR15..
Mounted them....
And they really look nice !!

But exactly what purpose do they serve ???

I know...why am I asking that question AFTER I installed them....

Answer.... Iowa Winters are long and adding them gave me something to do !!

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
132 Posts
A lot of the different braces and bars (there are many) are used to give rigidity and strength to the chassis. When I took the body off the frame on my car I was shocked at how flimsy the frame was (Florida car w/virtually no rust). Drag racers like to stiffen the car so more power is applied to the tires and so there is consistency from pass to pass. Most people enjoy a vehicle with less vibration and rattles too.

The jounce bars go from the oil pan area of the frame out to the ends of the framerails by the bumper.

·
Registered
358 Posts
OK, Got it,.. They are added reinforcement bars from the front cross member to the ends of each R&L frame rail. I can now see how they'd contribute to support & handling,.. Thx. I'm sure a lot other members were asking the same. - George

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even though they don't seem like much, they actually make a HUGE difference when packaged with the Grand Prix Bar and a Monte SS sway bar. It's one of the best ways to upgrade your front end without spending much money.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you have the cross bar also? The one that runs from the front frame rail to the other front frame rail & forms a triangle with the jounce bars.

I installed these 3 bars on the front of my Regal & was impressed with how much it tightened up the front end. No more freeway float in the front.

These 3 bars are a must have mod with a real good bang for the buck.

~JM~

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though they don't seem like much, they actually make a HUGE difference when packaged with the Grand Prix Bar and a Monte SS sway bar. It's one of the best ways to upgrade your front end without spending much money.
Any one have the Monte SS Sway bar they want to part with ??

If yes please PM me.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey All, Are these Jounce bars? If so, I've already got them. Were they stock items in 1987, or someone add them? - George
Yes TheyAre !!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Adding the grand Prix bar with the jounce bars made a huge difference in the front end of my car. I had the jounce bars originally. You just have to turn the grand Prix bar around and it fits with the jounce bars

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
What donor car can this stuff b found in?
Any G body,, Malibu, Cutlass seems to have the Jounce bars quite a bit,, most Cutlass I have looked at have the lower jounce bars,, Regal, Lemans, the Gran Prix bar is only from what I have read and seen is the Gran Prix,, 18mm bolts,, I have to get one of those electric impact guns to zip them off,,, look for the rear sway bar as well,, Matty man

1 - 19 of 19 Posts