El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of a dumb question, but how do I know what body style my newly purchased el camino is? I am far from ever being a mechanic, an am new to all the differences in the body styles and other generations. I've always thought they were cool as a kid, and it just so happened that one was for sale while I was in desperate need of another vehicle....so I happily bought it. Anyways, it is an 87 with split bench seats (not electric), blue interior, power windows/locks, auto, column shift, it has the square red hood ornament, v6....ehh, I don't really know what features to list that would make it stand out as a particular style. I don't know the difference between conquista, base, g body, etc. If anyone can help lemme know, thanks.:secret:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
87 is a G body El Camino, that is just GM's designation for El Camino's. G bodys were mde 82-87, A Body or A Body special were 78-81, but most people call the series G bodys.
Conquista is a trim package along with the Royal Knight and Black Night and a few others.
There is also the SS package that can come with the Z65 RPO code which had heavy duty suspension and handling.
The Choo Choo package was a package added after the El Camino left the factory, but Sold through GM dealers. This included the nose, sidepipes and possible bolt on hood scoop.

·
Registered
716 Posts
ok now I'm confused speedy I thought the ss rpo was z15 my book doen't show a z65 is this a typo or my ignorence thanks jim ps thought the f41 susp. was the heavy duty?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You are right it was a typo, I just checked my GM book.
RPO Z15 - Special Sport Equipment or SS
RPO Z65- Sport package

The F41 is part of the RPO Z65 package.
RPO F41- Suspension- Special Performance Front and Rear

·
Registered
716 Posts
thanks for clearing part of the ss rpo up mine has the f41 rpo but my source doesn't list a rpo of z65 jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The chevy one is hexagonal (also red)[/QUOTE]

for all I know it could be a replacement...or I could be wrong, it's been with my mechanic for so long I forget

1 - 9 of 9 Posts