El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust fell off driving down a gravel road the other day so I made a quick fix and ran a straight pipe until I could fix it. I am thinking about doing a simple glass pack and pipe is there a problem with dumping exhaust under the cab of an el camino I have seen some like this. As soon as I said it my father was up in arms about the cab filling up with fumes and knocking me out when I was sitting in traffic. Just want to make sure it is safe to do. :dontknow:Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Ya might want to listen to dear ol dad on this one. If you want to do the exhaust tempoarily on the cheap, at least run the exhaust pipe to the passenger side. Like dad said, if you let the fumes congregate under the car while sitting at a light, the hot gasses goes straight up into the cab. Even with the windows up and a/c on there are cabin filters that help the cab breathe. So do the glass pack but dump it out the side or just behind the rear axle. Believe me, listen to your dad. The older you get, the smarter he gets. I learned that with my pops.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I run my exhaust out the sides, dumped before the rear tires. No fumes inside and the rear end has a cleaner look. Sorry about the dirty pic.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Jarhead is correct. Fumes can impair your mind or kill you. The other reason for not dumping under the cab is exhaust resonance. It's great at the track but you will quickly tire of it. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have duals with glasspacks that dump straight down right before the rear axle. seems to be back far enough, i never notice any fumes.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I have duals with glasspacks that dump straight down right before the rear axle. seems to be back far enough, i never notice any fumes.

Hey Buzz, your screen name may indicate a subliminal message being used and you don't even know it! :poke:.. I think the question had more to do with dumping under the cab. Yours dumps below the bed so there shouldn't be a problem. Like lockjaw stated, dumping under the cab or bed is ok if you take it down the track but to hear that drone on a 40 mile commute will damage your hearing and brain cells. Axe me now I hoe!!:dontknow:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I honestly dont notice much resonance, the only time i do is right around 1500 rpm. To each their own though so I'd say do whatever setup sounds good to you.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
My 79 F250 , the exhaust dumps just behind the cab. Its a farm truck so it doesn't get a lot of hiway time. It's great to hear the power that the 460 pumps out. My 02 2500HD Chebby dumps just before the rear axle. Agin, i love to hear the 6.0 blowing at 70 mph.. But my Elky, it exits behind the rear tires with just a low humm while going down the road or stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I will say one thing though, if you want the exhaust to be cheap, do dumps. You dont have to spend the extra cash for nice tips or extra pipes to run over the rear axle.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
exaclty right. thats why i like my exhaust to be unseen. just a little hanging down to keep it off of the car. Like the 70 Nova

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Mike, is that a COPO Nova?

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Jarhead is correct. Fumes can impair your mind or kill you. The other reason for not dumping under the cab is exhaust resonance. It's great at the track but you will quickly tire of it. Good luck with it.
...X2 on that,be careful of the fumes,..(works great out in the garden to get rid of those underground rodents...:poke:)

:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Mike, is that a COPO Nova?
Yes sir , it is. Too bad its not mine. Just a random pic to show the exhaust. When I was younger, a girlfriends brother had a 70 Nova and I always liked the way the exhaust was just barely showing. Because of the frame, this isn't possible on a 5th gen. :dontknow:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I end the pipe behind the smugglers hatch bumps in the floor is that far enough or should I just make a 90 and put it out the side in front of the rear wheels? I'll make sure to keep up my momentum in the mean time:beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts