El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've heard some folks kick around suggestions about dyno software/simulators, and I was wondering if there was anything out there really worth getting. In particular free/open source software would be ideal. :nanawrench:

Just curious as to who has what and if it is worth the time/money.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I dont believe there are any open source alternatives.. None worth using. The people who develop open-source software worth using are trying to solve bigger issues than calculating intake velocity.

There are paid alternatives that come close to mimicking real world dyno runs. And one can even get them for free, or at least some versions of it, if one knows where to look.
Cant find names or links in my bookmarks. But
Try googling for desktop dyno, or, best dyno software

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had one of the first desktop dyno programs and was happy with the motors I built.. But there is so much info on sbc,fords,ect.... cyc heads,cams,carbs. You can build almost any engine. fast ,fuel milage,towing,drag. just buy calling tech lines and talking to engine shops to build what you want or can afford? And the engine builders can tell you with the parts you use a ball park figure for hp & tq and what rpm range it will have. Then theres trans,converter,rear gears,tire size, car weight ect........

Don

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
All of the simulators are definately a "garbage in / garbage out" program.

If your building anything that you want / need more exacting and realistic results.. There are only two I can recomend. "Performance Trends Engine Analyzer" and I'm hearing very realistic results with DynoSim5 Pro version with the cam disk. There is another that is just stupid expesive and is what companies like GM, Penskee, Cosworth, etc use in engine development

If ANY simulator asks for a specific measurement and you guess, you should expect a guess as the result. Or if your just looking for trends and not actual #'s (or an aproximate #) DeskTop Dyno is only abut $50

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have NO idea how accurate it truly is, but I've use Comp Cam's CAMQUEST software to get a rough estimate of gross engine horsepower. Last I checked it was avail as a free download. When purchasing my cam from them, the tech guy said it (the modeling SW) came pretty close to his real world dyno numbers for his S-10 drag truck.

Agree with the garbage in garbage out sentiment. Fortunately I was able to find the airflow numbers for my heads and plug them in which helped a lot. Amount of exhaust restriction to model is a W.A.G.

What I liked most about the product was the ability to cycle through various cam types and profiles visually until you get one that meets your needs.

Once you have the raw HP and TQ figures you'll have to make a guess at how much loss your accessories and driveline take away.

My two cents. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts