El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
good story about e bay. looked for 3 months here in florida for a el camino. everyone one was over priced. found a 82 on e bay in califorina and had it shipped down here. car is great. all it needed was some interior work and got most of what i needed on e bay. this site has been a great help in information in putting it together...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I really don't like ebay myself. Seems like everything is overpriced from the start. Then, you get a bunch of idiots to bid on it, and end up paying 5x what the product is really worth. I don't know how many times I've found stuff cheaper somewhere else on the 'net just by being patient and shopping around and asking questions on parts. I've only bought one thing off ebay, and it wasn't what it was described to be. It was a steering wheel for my elky. The add said it was dk. gray, sure looks black to me :roll:

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have bought & sold many things on E-Bay. No horror stories yet. I must say that auto parts sellers seem to be the most difficult to deal with. You have to get the shipping & handling costs out in the open before you bid. Some of these people want to charge more for shipping than the part is worth. I avoid these sellers at all costs. I feel that if they would try to rip you off on shipping charges they certainly wouldn't hesitate to do the same with the parts they are selling.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Caveat Emptor. That is the main rule to follow when shopping on ebay.

I think ebay is great, as long as your very careful with who you deal with. I've bought and sold hundreds of items there. I only had one bad buying experience, and that ended up getting resolved through Square Trade in my favor. That seller had a bad reputation to begin with and was banned from ebay afterward.

My only pet peeve with ebay is that there are too many people selling "NOS" auto parts that are still available at dealerships for less than half the price of their auctions opening bid. Well, as someone once said "There's a sucker born every minute."

:mrgreen:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
87ElCamino said:
My only pet peeve with ebay is that there are too many people selling "NOS" auto parts that are still available at dealerships for less than half the price of their auctions opening bid. Well, as someone once said "There's a sucker born every minute."
Yeah, what Ernie said! I've gotten some great deals and paid a little too much for a couple thiings, but you live and learn. There are only 3 guys that I deal with, all have been very above board with me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
1)you just gotta be careful who your buying from, usually if they have a lower feedback rating i'll e-mail them to see how quickly they respond, if it takes more than 2 days, im not bidding, it doesn't matter how low the price is.

2)you should check prices out from the stores to see how they are priced.

3)if your looking for a common parts they are usually alot cheaper on ebay, and and are sold by companies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
85-ss-elky said:
I have noticed alot of people here really dislike E-Bay. Is there a good reason for this? Seems to me there are quite a few things available there for the Elky's. And a parts source is always a good thing to me? Any horror stories?
I have no problem with ebay...never have...caveat emptor is right. lots of people get pissed because they didn't do their homework before buying. I once paid $43 for a windshield washer water bottle when the dealer had them for $12...that was a bad call on my part and I learned a lesson. Wasn't their fault or the other bidder's either...mine for not checking around first.

Ebay is like any place where you buy things, you have to know what you're doing before you plunk your card down on the table to pay. I've been on ebay since 1997 without any big problems. You have to check into the shipping costs before you buy...you also have to check into the price of the item so you know how much to bid without paying too much for the item. Those two things first, then use your common sense when it comes to the seller...ask questions and check feedback...then buy with confidence.

Yep, ebay has attracted more rip offs than any other venue in the histroy of the web, but there are still many good deals to have there, you just have to be careful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ebay

I got my car off ebay.A old 76 elcamino with no motor and trans. It was a old show car and am very pleased.I also got a 1996 harley low ride cheaper than any place. Very happy with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts