Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm cross-posting this on both forums.

The idea of merging NECOA and El Camino Central has been floating around for awhile, and since it came up on a poll on the NECOA site I'd like to share my thoughts.

I think it would be a great idea. I like the car club feel of NECOA but it needs more of what ECC is offering. I think it could eventually become a dynamic club with a range to offer, from basic free memberships with access to forums, etc. to full-blown car club features for donating members. That would have something for everyone, and would eventually attract the most people.

For it to work I think that name should stay as NECOA, that just seems right. ECC members would have to re-apply because the members of NECOA have been around longer. It wouldn't be fair the other way around.

I'd like to see the member page format of NECOA rather than ECC's, but with more general information displayed, I like to sit and read about other people's cars.

I think the best of both worlds can be acheived here, I hope some other people will chime in with their ideas too.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
AC, I think it is a great idea too, but we'll really have to wait until the polls are in to see what the majority wants to do. So far, it's just an idea in the development stages. As far as renaming either, my thoughts would be to point both domain names to the same site, and call the site something like, "El Camino Central, the internet home of the National El Camino Owners Association" or something of that nature. The idea is not to minimize either, but to join them both as one.
As for making anyone reapply, most ECC members are already NECOA members. Combining the two member lists would only be a matter of assigning NECOA member numbers to ECC members who are not already members of NECOA.
I am currently working on a few different programs that would allow a better member gallery for members to showcase their cars. Once they are ready, we may publish all, and see which the members prefer.
I would really like to make the whole site as hands free as possible, allowing registered members upload and manage their own photo galleries and personal content, as well as contribute stories etc.

Robert More

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
To be truthful the only thing I like about the NECOA site is the members page. Everything else is pretty weak IMHO. (Flame suit on) When I found Chevytalk and that it had an El Camino section I was stoked. Then when I followed Robert's sig here I joined right away (member #2). That Robert setup a site for El Camino owners to meet up and talk seemed like one hell of an idea. I think how the membership has grown in the last month shows how popular this site has become and the potential of this site. I've known about NECOA site for while and have visited a few times but it never really held my interest past the member pages. Perhaps it just the way the site is setup, no flame intended to the people that set it up. I know how hard it is to setup a site and keep peoples interest. I'm the President of my local F-Body club and admin of the site. While I don't post a lot here (or any other sites I go to) I visit many times a day and try to contribute where I can.

Robert's idea of doing more of a 50/50 join sounds better to me. So long as the best of both can be kept. The idea of a hands free site could help the place grow even faster. For now I would suggest waiting and see what happens with both sites. They can always be joined together at a later date.

My .02 for what it's worth.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
AC-
Thanks for starting this thread. I believe El Camino and GMC owners can have the best of both ideas.
I like Robert's idea for the site title, and throw in the NECOA logo. Perhaps the site could have one area exclusively for NECOA members to give them something extra for supporting the effort with their future club dues. It's under detailed discussion at this point, but I'm excited about the possibilities.
Just wish my business duties had afforded me the opportunity to download PHP-Nuc and gotten a more professional look for the existing NECOA site. I am an IT professional so with the right amount of time it could have shined. Nonetheless I'm still quite proud of the content, but certainly not the look, of the NECOA site.
I'm Looking forward to the results of the poll votes and working with Robert, Peter, Ben and others to make a first class offering to the El Camino world.
One thing that will be a challenge is how to include "non-internet" El Camino owners. The NECOA has about 20 members who are not I-net folks. If we limit our thoughts to only the internet I believe we'll miss perhaps up to 70% of El Camino/GMC owners. That's a lot of information sharing missed, and a lot of vehicles we might not see. I'd like some one else's thoughts on that challenge.
-Dan

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
acauth1 said:
"El Camino Central, the internet home of the National El Camino Owners Association"
Has a nice ring to it...

Poltergeist said:
To be truthful the only thing I like about the NECOA site is the members page
I would tend to agree with you...

Let's hear everyones thoughts on this...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love both of them but I do favor this site more. I've always liked these type forums.

It's kind of like holding a Budwieser in each hand. :p

I say merge.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad there is alot of interest in this, because I think if you guys put your heads together some really cool stuff is going to come out of it. I think the idea of using both names is great, I didn't mean to put either down.

Robert is doing an excellent job of making this site automated, and I think after it's been around awhile it can expand into a full featured car club for those who want to pay for it, and have a newsletter which will cater to the non-internet group. A newsletter could even feature internet forum highlights. I think if you stick with the "something for everyone" approach it can gather the most people.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Just recently joined, I think there is a lot of potential here, most of us own El Caminos', lets build on the knowledge and experience thats here. If merging will be beneficial, as I'm sure it would be, lets do it. I prefer keeping the name "El Camino Central" and then add "Home of NECOA" The more members there are the more we can accomplish, IE discounts bigger meets, shared technical info etc. We are a group of enthusiasts, and the more of us there are, the more we can demand from SEMA and others. If the manufactures are made more aware of us maybe they'll be more aware of their marketing potential. As I'm sure a lot of us are aware, finding repo parts for Generation IV and V Elkys is still lacking, and I think a larger organization speaks louder. I can't keep track of how many manufactures I've contacted and asked why don't you make this or carry that for 1978-1987 Elkys. Last one was just the other day, contacted Lakewood Bellhousings and asked them why don't they make a bellhousing for 78-87 Elkys they gave me a lame answer, "Use an F body bellhousing with hydraulic clutch linkage" I guess I'm rambling but if we can make our needs known then we win the manufacturers win. And if they know were out here they'll come around. Just look at what was accomplished last week with Honest Charleys, (nice job by the way). There are plenty of manufacturers that cater to the Tri 5's, Dakota Digital makes digital dashes for many model GM's but when I contacted them about Elkys they said they could make mine digital but it would be a custom job and the price was outrageous. I could go on and on, but I think you all get my point, the more of us there are, the more we make ourselves a viable organization. PS free membership is great, but I would not be opposed to a reasonable membership fee in order to accomplish what you guys have started. Mike

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
PS Just took a good look at NECOA's website, lot of pop-up ads. When and if a merge takes place, make sure pop-ups are El Camino related. When membership is large enough, advertisers should be charged for running their ads/links, either in a form of at least 10% discount for members or a fee. Nothing is more irratating then pop-up ads that I have no use for.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
The only popups on ECC are the ones indicating you have a private message. Advertisement would only be sold as banner ads above or below our logo or in a left or right side block.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also think the merger would be a great idea means were all interested in working on our elkys together. and then we won't have to check both web sites to see whats going on and we should get lots more sponsers and interested people and find more info about our elkys.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
83choochoo said:
and we should get lots more sponsers
Well it sure would help me out when I talk to vendors and such. 400+ members I think would seriously give us some exposure as well as to give the impression that we're not a "flash in the pan"!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Many positive things could come out of a merger such as this. The shared info alone would be worth it! If this were to come about, this style forum (ECC's) would be a must. The message board at necoa is very difficult to follow in comparison to this one. To put the two together, and make one large El Camino website would benefit everybody. An El Camino super forum :lol: :!:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
One hundred and thirty six members and only 20 votes....come on guys!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too believe that a merger could only benefit everyone.

If Dan and Robert and everyone else are comfortable with this I say great. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort that must go into organizing a site.

Having joined both places around the same time, I really like both organizations. Combining "all" the features into one site sounds like a natural.

Also, using both names somehow should be the way to go along with the NECOA logo.

Lets keep the votes coming in.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
:twisted:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Lots of new members here, welcome! Please, everyone, take a second and vote!

Thanks
Robert

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
84choochoo said:
Having joined both places around the same time, I really like both organizations. Combining "all" the features into one site sounds like a natural. Jeff
Come on guys & gals...165 members, 28 votes! Pony up!

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Bump

1 - 20 of 23 Posts