El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i get to the ecm of an 81 el camino...3 people have told me that its behind the glove box..whats the easiest way to get to it?

·
Banned
881 Posts
Ditto on what Mike said. The ECM should be in the passenger side kick panel. But, if it were behind the glove box I would suggest removing the cable from the right side of the glovebox so the glovebox would pivot all the way downward.

The ECM in my 79 TBI Elky was behind the glovebox...but I put it there.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
49 Posts
ECM?

I have heard of the term ECM before and guessed it's stands for the Engine Control Module? Do I have one on my 69 ELKY? if so where can I find it? I'm trying to hunt down the cause of a no start condition now and that might be my problem.

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
not one in a 69

Your 69 did not come with an ECM I belive the first to have them with the feed-back carb was the the 81 model. Your problem is the basic no fire, no fuel situation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: not one in a 69

Harald K said:
Your problem is the basic no fire, no fuel situation.
and amen to that! you believe it's 72 degrees here??? i'm gonna go out and wash elle :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: ECM?

87ElCamino said:
meatball said:
Do I have one on my 69 ELKY?
You don't have one. They weren't used in El Caminos until 1979.
my 79 elky i parted didnt have one behind the kick panel

·
Banned
881 Posts
my 79 elky i parted didnt have one behind the kick panel
I'm not surprised. Most 1979 El Caminos did not have an ECM.

However, the first 5th gen El Camino to have an ECM was in 1979. It was used for the 231ci V6 with the California C4 system. (Computer Controlled Catalytic Convertor). It was only available in California, and only came on the 231ci V6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts