El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some issues on my 86 Elco with the stock 4.3L v6 fuel injected motor. Recently the injectors have been super "whacko!"... I went to start it up one day and sure enough, crank crank crank... It was getting flooded. The injectors were dumping fuel into the throttle body like crazy, not flashing or anything. Just solidly dumping the fuel like water would on a garden hose. Took it to the best auto electric repairman in town and he traced down the ignition module in the distributor. Changed it out, and drove it down the road for 5 minutes until boom. Dead at a red light with no start. Crank crank crank. I brought it back to him and he said that it needs a new ECM and a new throttle body. Being short on time and with college coming up in a couple weeks, I don't have much time to think about my options. I got the ECM replaced and bought a cheap aftermarket throttle body for under $300. Big mistake but that's another story.
So he replaced the parts and the car ran fine for a few hours. This POS throttle body was forcing the car to run at 200 to 300 RPM slower than normal, idling at 800 with the AC on. Also ran terribly on the highway and wouldn't let the car go any faster than 74 MPH.. After an hour of highway driving (mind you this is the same day I picked it up), boom, suddenly 0 RPM as I coast off of the highway to pull over with my hazards. I say a little prayer. Crank crank crank. Sure enough it's dumping fuel again. Geeze, I spent $600 to LOSE performance and to end up with the problem I started with in less than a day after this "repair"...
This Elco is EATING ECMS FOR BREAKFAST. I cannot go one hour of driving this car without the ECM blowing out and the injectors losing their pulse, forcing them to stay open and to keep the girl from starting. This is very frustrating.
I suggested there might have been a short to ground somewhere on the wiring harness, he said he found nothing. We could both be getting fooled, but I am just reaching out to this forum in search of some knowledge of potential solutions and factors to this issue.
I am HIGHLY considering a conversion from TBI to Carb. If anyone can point me in the right direction for this 1986 4.3 V6 TBI.
SO much work and love done to this machine and I don't want to let it go.
Please help.

Rod

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Swap the tbi fuel pump out to a multi port type, then drop an LS engine in it.

Seriously though, it definitely sounds like something is shorting it out. Computers are sensitive to static electricity. May need to check through all under hood wiring & connectors, also check braided engine to chassis grounds & maybe even add another engine to chassis ground if ya only see one.

I'd imagine items like IAC motor could be a possible culprit, but have no positive specifics for you.
Maybe try a few google searches for similar issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts