El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several articles in search & can`t find an answer. Any one know if I can install a vacuum distrbutor & a non computer carb on a 1984 El Camino W a 305 v/8 and leave ECM in to control a/c & cruise control. Any one know how to make A/C work without ECM ? I could get by with out cruise but not A/C ?
Dave B.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I did not think the computer control the A/C or cruise,, I could be wrong,, the A/C should be a seperate wiring,, I will look in the wiring diagrams,, Matty man

·
Registered
338 Posts
I juat did mine all it controls is the carb and distributor. Is you ha e doubt just unplug it and try but I pulled all my wires and the ecm with no problem

·
Senior Contributing Member
412 Posts
As far as i know the AC is not hooked up to the ECM.
You would have to get a cruise setup from a non ECM car. I believe the 78 -80 Monte Carlo didn't have an ECM but not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
78-80 had NO ECM...........That system started in 80 1/2 model year on GM.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the ecm does not control the ac and not sure yet on the cruise , the heater/ac harness are seperate from the ecm.the heater harness comes out from the bottom corner of the heater box and the ecm comes out of the body below the heater box.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
The ecm does NOT control the a/c or cruise.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all that replied. It seems to be a matter in question, I` m going to try it & see what happens. No pollution testing in New York if vehicle is over 25 years old . I have already removed every thing pollution related except for catylitic convertor & car has passed inspection 3 years in a row
Dave B.

·
Registered
29 Posts
87's are all smog equiped?

Correct me please if wrong but I believe all 87-88 with 305 v8's were of the Calf smog version type. Assume there were not enough cars being sold to warrant Elky's out of Calf to be diferent.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Removing it all the right way is a little bit of work, but I am glad I did it. The engine compartment is going to be a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
little late guys :screwy: just kidding, Once I got the carb and distributor, I just took all the loose wires, bundled them up and shoved them in the fender in case I ever needed them again. I guess next time I take out my wheel well I will probably disconnect all the wires at the ECM and yank it all out the right way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1980 elcamino

i have a 1980 el camino with a 305 i got a 454 fuel inj motor what do i need to do to make it work in my car wiring mounts everything plz i need help sincerely yours Eddie

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
welcome Eddie
the 454 will likely bolt in on the stock mounts depending on the oil pan,
truck pans are bigger..

what year is the 454?? what is it out of??
is this a oem FI setup?? did you get the computer, wiring harness, transmission with the motor??

:texas:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts