El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have an 84' el camino I am currently finishing up dropping in a 86' L69 305 out of a MCSS.The motor I yanked out was a 1970's 350 "010" casting. No emissions controls,although the ccc carb and distributor was used on the 350.I got it from the previous owner like this.

Anyway,got the 305 in there now,most of the electrical connections are made(most harness connections were left dangling) .Only connections left are o2 sensor,knock sensor, and temp sensor.

o2 sensor: I can't seem to locate where the o2 plugs into the harness. or the color wire it corresponds with.

My temp sender connector's looks like someone busted the plastic off to feed a single terminal with both wires. So I figure to, splice a new connector to go to the dual connection sensor..these 2 wires are yellow and black. I believe but am not certain.

Knock sensor I'm just going to search around that part of the harness and hope it still there

Anyone can help me get my satisfaction against the emissions goons.So I
could put ol' jet black back in servce. sure would apprciate it thanks

:-D

·
Banned
881 Posts
jetblack84 said:
Only connections left are o2 sensor,knock sensor, and temp sensor.

o2 sensor: I can't seem to locate where the o2 plugs into the harness. or the color wire it corresponds with.

My temp sender connector's looks like someone busted the plastic off to feed a single terminal with both wires. So I figure to, splice a new connector to go to the dual connection sensor..these 2 wires are yellow and black. I believe but am not certain.
Knock sensor wire is Blue.
Coolant temperature sensor wires are Black and Yellow.
Oxygen sensor wire is Purple.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK that will work. I found the purple wire wrapped in the harness up by the carb, and have the o2 hooked up now also.

I cannot locate the blue wire for the knock sensor in the harness.can I run without it connected .

Does the 84 model year have a knock sensor system? Reason I say, is the engine I dropped in is a 86 l69 305. or there is no knock sensor wire provision for the 84's?

Thanks for the tidbit.It helped me out

Great site to.. just us Camino's I like

·
Banned
881 Posts
jetblack84 said:
Does the 84 model year have a knock sensor system?
Yes. The blue wire from the knock sensor hooks up to the Electronic Spark Control Module. Start there and you should be able to track it down. There are four wires on the ESCM: BLK, DK BLU, BRN, PNK/BLK.

Are you replacing a diesel engine?

·
Banned
881 Posts
jetblack84 said:
I cannot locate the blue wire for the knock sensor in the harness.can I run without it connected .
Yes. But if you use some low octane gas and the engine knocks the ECM will not be able to retard the timing. Knocking could become severe under heavy engine load conditions.

The knock sensor is connected to the Electronic Spark Control system. The ESC module sends a voltage signal to the ECM when no knocking is detected by the knock sensor and the ECM provides normal spark advance. When the knock sensor detects a knock the ESC turns off the signal to the ECM. The ECM then retards the electronic spark timing to reduce the knock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks ,I don't know if it was a diesel,or not. I'll research the vin to confirm.

I will also check for the ESC module(I noticed a 5 wire connector under the brake booster ?didnt take note of the wire color though).

Checked out your site,WISH I had the space to store that many chevys

thanks for you patience and know how..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update

Cannot find no esc module on my camino_Only the switchw/ vac. attached(I think baro switch)....went to the boneyard and got a module off a monte 84-86.anyway, I'm 'bout to splice it in the harness has anyone had to do this to replace computer controls?

Now,I have to install the lil esc module fenderwell setup, pigtails and long leads of each wire: dark Bl= knock sensor,brown=? ,black (ground?),pink =?.

Can the brn, pink and black wire be spliced in the same colored wire in my harness? I see no loose connections for no esc in my existing harness. I
have looked at the harness, and couldn't find no cut wires other than o2.

Or, do the wires need to be run separately from each prong on ECM.

this is the messy stuff after an engine swap, wires ,vacuum hoses,and emissions stuff. can ya tell I'm bummed.Tryin to stay patient though!

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Hey Nick, did you fail your Illinois Emissions test and if so do you know why? Reason I ask is I live in Illinois also and I'm curious if you failed due to missing emissions equipment (did they look under the hood) or did it fail due to not passing the sniffer test?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Failed the sniffer ,but that was with the previous old 350 w/o emisssions controls.Usually, when I go they don't pop the hood.They do walk along side the vehicle with a mirror on a stick so they can peep the catalytic conv..Gas cap test, tailpipe while on dynometer.
Now I have the ss motor(104k) in there, out of a 86 with emissions all replaced .we'll see what we get this time around.

Just be aware when you go to get the Camino tested(sniffed).Instead of getting out of the vehicle,slide over to you pass. seat for the test.That way when you see the test about to finish, tell the worker to be EASY on the brakes!!

I had a ignorant worker decide to stop that big drum for the dyno with my rear brakes. INSTANTLY! Crimped my rear brake line.I had to watch this happen through a glass boothe,right in front of me.I start tellin him off.Go gets the manager.Manager tells me"cars are made for dynos". So passed emissions but failed cuz of the brakes. Yea well ya know what brakes and suspenion ain't made for no load like that..wish I had thought of that then.

This was when my Dad owned the Camino he had to follow me home in rush hour w/just limited front brakes.We limped home and he didn't even bump my boat.

Later

1 - 9 of 9 Posts