El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, should there be any fuel coming out of
the two jets toward bottom of pic ?

A fine mist comes out until engine cools. Is this normal ?

350 eng. Edelbrock 1406 carb ,2101 intake

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thats after I turn off the car.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Sounds like the fuel is burning off. Is it hard to re-start? You might need a spacer between the carb and manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Not normal,they do not like fuel pressure over about 5.5 lbs or low engine vac, or heat ,do you have the recommended spacer ? are you running a duel plane intake ? you can do look up the service Manuel for all the settings .:texas:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I had problem with flooding finally got a regulaor and set it to 2 1/2 it started flooding after i had been driving it for 3 months with no problem.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got the same carb and just took it apart to clean it. It's the easiest carb to work on just pull it off take it apart and spray with carb cleaner and blow out with air. If you have doubts just take pics each step of the way or pm me ill walk you through it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,
You all gave me a good starting point. Last night I read a lot ,looked for receipts and gained some important info.

Fixitman , Yes the Edelbrock #2101 manifold is a duel plane -low rise ~ ( whatever that means??)
No ~ on the recommended spacer. I started to search for spacers and found 1/2" And 1" and then I got a terrible thought from deep in my mind......I will not have enough room for the hood to close.

Options: New spacer & hood ???? Or Dose anybody make a custom air cleaner filter an inch smaller in height ????.

However, I have found A receipt from the past owner mech. fuel pump dated 2007 ...so I called and checked the # and the guy said Its a Holly pump and it puts out 7.5 lbs. Q. Besides boiling at shut down and hard starting in A.M. what other signs or symptoms will too much pressure have on the cruck???

I will start with the fuel pump first. What's a good MFG. for a 5.5 lb mech.Pump ??

Thanks Havaelky. :beer:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More info added.

Well, Today I found a pressure regulator and the 1" carb spacer needed to fix the boiling off,hot starts etc... "Edelbrock issues". The carb spacer will take a day to come in,so today I installed the regulator and a guage. Awe......5.5 lbs /p. I would have never imagined this even existed :dontknow:.

Anyway, I will put up pics later after I install the carb spacer...and while I'm there also a throttle/TV bracket project I've been waiting to do. ( may have a few Q's on that one.) This along with using the lowest amount of Ethanol grade fuel I can find should solve the "ISSUES". :beer:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Is go ahead and pull off the top of tge carb and soak it with some good cab cleaner clean the float bowls out and metering rods and blow out everything good just to be sure

·
0 Posts
You will not have a hood clearance problem with a spacer. I have one but I use a crappy Pro-Flow air cleaner.As for the kickdown cable,if you have a 350 trans its a kickdown. If its an overdrive trans,it's called a TV cable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pic's

Here are some pic's.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Having hot fuel percolate out is not uncommon. Spacers are great if you have room. You might also have the float level a tad too high. That needs to be set to factory specs.That might be the cause. It's really easy to do on the car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried 4 times ,and almost was done ...I'M all over the place and I keep loosing my work "BLOW-N-CHUNKS ...Will try tomorrow.:beer::beer::beer::beer:,one to many????

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Qqqqq's

Hi all, Here are some pic's so far.
I used plumbers putty to make several 2" rolls,closed the hood and checked the flattened size~~~ 1-1/4". Add 1" spacer ,and Two gaskets ? ??? real close.
New Parts: kick down cable,carb rebuild kit,throttle/kick down bracket,1" spacer.

This are the old brackets.
K/D cable hits the manifold and dose not seat in bracket correctly.
New bracket,cable.
I will have to use the outer carb/manifold stud port when I do the carb rebuild so the bracket will work.
I want to do the K/D cable first , getting cammie on stands is no easy feat. I only have SOooo much room to work with , and at that ,I have to TRY to lift it up with my shoulders on the ground just to get the jack under.
The back is so close to the garage door ,I have to use the safety override to close it.:let_it_all_out:

Q. Connecting K/D cable @ Trans. What are the "TRICKS" to getting this hooked up with out removing the cooler lines and dropping the exhaust ??? Looks tight :dontknow:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The saga continues.

Hi all,
I installed the kickdown cable ,but it was to long ( 40 + " ). The old one measured @ 36" So I found this one
I like this style "Adjustable".

I found out you must use the out side carb/manifold studs holes to install the 1" spacer

I installed new studs / spacer and went to do a dry fitting of cable bracket and.......more mods...holes don't line up.
. I Had enough material to drill a hole in one side,but had to ADD material on the other.
And all trimmed and finished

Now the carb rebuild/cleaning.

That's as far in the tear down/rebuild, as I am right now . 104* today ,I don't want to get HIGH on carb cleaner.....I think I rather be doing this......
......Anyway, I'll have more as it goes back together :scatter::fluffy:

P.S. what are your thoughts/tips on trying to clean inside of manifold ?????

Thanks.........Today we RIDE!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whats This ?????

Well, I got the carb all cleaned & looking good.

However, along the way I found A small brass cap in the fuel bowl. GREAT WHAT'S THIS TO ?????
I ASSUME it went here
Venturi on the right had an open hole & it fit.Venturi on left looks like it never got finished milling ???? Different from the others ??? .

If this is the correct location dose the part need any loc tight or press in dry ??????:feedback: .
The next step is the KIT.
Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The END>

Well guys, I got every thing put back together & adjusted to specs ....No leaks ...No stumbles...No fuel smells & the hood CLOSES, I'm happy.

I

1 - 20 of 24 Posts