El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone! I'm looking for tips on a new carburetor. I'm getting rid of my old 650 double pumper holley and going for a 650 Thunder series AVS Edelbrock. My holley had been rebuilt many times and is 20+ years old. Also sat in the garage where I found the car for 15 year. It loves to start fires and dump fuel. So I decided to get a new carb. And the 650 edelbrock is much cheaper than a new double pumper so I went with that. I'm waiting on it to arrive right now. What should I look for when I'm installing it? Is there stuff I need to watch out for? Vacuum lines? I have a square bore edelbrock intake manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
IMO you only need a double pumper for racing, not at all for street driving.
I suspect a lot of people here will recommend a MM Quadrajet. I would too, but I personally prefer Holleys.
Try a Street Avenger 670 or maybe a new Street Demon.
I do not recommend the Edelbrock carbs.

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
G'day Bailey,go to page 11 on this forum Qjet v Holley v Ebrock.You can read up on what a few members think about the three.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't ask me what I think about edelbrock carburetors. I just got rid of mine and got a holley from AED carburetors. I bolted it on and it was like adding fifty horsepower out of the box. I would have gave you mine for free.....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Bailey,go to page 11 on this forum Qjet v Holley v Ebrock.You can read up on what a few members think about the three.
Thanks moose that helped me a bit I guess I'll just have to see. My holley was just giving me fits and the edelbrock was next on the list of carbs. I've already ordered it so ill just have to see. I've heard good and bad about all 3 so it's more of a toss up for me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I was a kid I had an AFB on my 55 Chevrolet and it ran great for years and years so when I bought my first Edelbrock 1406 I thought it was going to be great well not so much. Then I figured maybe I just got a bad carb so I bought another one for my other Corvette and it too was a POS. All of my problems were solved by a new carb in a white box with black letters.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had an AFB on a corvette I owned back in the sixties and it worked great. I had the same idea about edelbrock when I bought the seven fifty which I could never get to work right. After I bought and installed the holley it was like having a new engine in my el camino. After that I bought another holley for my mercury. I looked at efi, but it was too much money......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts