El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a holley 600 cfm for my new engine. after i rebuild the old engine for more power i might buy a bigger carb. are there big differences between the two makes? anybody have a preferance of edelbrock or holley(and why)? would like to hear your oppinions. thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm running a mildly built 283 4 spd. muncie. I've run both types first a Holley 600 cfm, now a Performer 500 cfm. The Holley's tend to eat power valves if they backfire, that can be solved by installing a preventor screw or one of the other types. The Holley tunes easily, the Performer is a bit of a pain but it can be done. I've had equal performance with both. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I tried 3 new edelbrock 600 cfm carbs and had no luck. they just wouldn't run right.so i returned them and. bought a new holley 670 street avenger and it seems to run a lot better.and it does'nt even flood like the edelbrocks did.

·
1,867 Posts
I love my edelbrock 1406 carb! It was one of the best things I did for my elky. I had got tired of always rebuilding the Quad so I switched to edelbrock around two years ago & never looked back. 83choochoo is the first one I have ever heard have problems with these carbs. Driveablity & reliabity greatly inproved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car should be running with the new carb this weekend, so I will see how it works out for me. It seems like anything will be better than the stock Rochester that was on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
New Holley carbs don't blow power valves like the old ones did. They changed the design to stop the problem. The 1406 Edelbrocks have mechanical secondaries and the Street Avengers have vacuum secondaries with more adjustment profiles available. I've got a 750 cfm 1406 on my 396 and am about to change to an 870 Street Avenger. The thought is that the vacuum secondaries will give a smoother power curve as the throttle opens and hopefully help the fuel consumption number a bit. Anyway, I'm about to find out.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
One of the best carbs I ever had on a SBC was a q-Jet. When they are right they are right. I don't like the Edelbrock I have two 750 1411s and I am just unimpressed with its WOT response and overall its performance.

I haven't used a Holley yet but I will eventually replace these with some well tuned Q-Jets or Holley/Demon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have had holley:600 and 650 cfms and a edelbrok 750 electric on my 69 chevelle, and now I have 86 rochester Q-jet ?cfm on my elky. Though both cars are differant performance vehicles I have to say that I have enjoy the edelbrock on the chevelle and I probably will get another edelbrock for the elky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts