El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres the deal. I recently had to pull the engine from my elky to put in my truck. THe truck is an 85 k10 that is my daily driver. On my way to a wedding the 4 and 5 rod bearings seized up on me a few weeks ago. As its my daily driver I had no choice but to pull the low mileage engine from the el camino to put it in the truck. I just did a 1 for 1 swap as it was most time efficient, especially as it was 2 weeks prior to my own wedding. The elco engin now in the truck has an edelbrock 650 performer on top of an edelbrock high rise intake. The old engine had a edelbrock intake and qjet on top. Which setup and especially carb do yall think would be best for gas mileage? the truck seems to get less now than it did before but I want opinions. Ive spoke to people at work and had mixed opinions about it. Thanks

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
..no brainer....Q-jet..Unless you want to run two fours, then,maybe. ( I'm kinda fond of Holleys 4 bbl.).:driving:

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Q-Jet. :smile3:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Lots of previous discussion on this comparison. The main problem I was finding when last running ELDERBROCKS on a gmc work truck was constant deterioration of mileage & running condition, The metering valves which constantly move up & down with vacuum were gunking up on me, most likely from the ethanol gas.

If you can't afford a good rebuilt quad right now, you can easily remove the metering rods & springs with the carb in place & clean if needed.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a Holley on my crate 350, and mileage is unbelievably low. And now it started to cough when I turn it off. I'll be swapping this out for a Q jet real soon, 9 out of 10 I've asked says Q jet is the way to go.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like you answered your question (Truck seems to get less now) Go with the Q-jet

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
My mileage with a 454 and Qjet is surprisingly good.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
When I bought my Elky, it had an Edelbrock in it (350). Bought a Q-jet from MM (Carter-type). I had been getting 13-15 MPG, but with q-jet, I'm getting 7-10. Sooo, I just finished putting the Edelbrock back in. It starts better and runs smoother. Haven't put enough miles on it to check mileage. Had I know I would have been getting a Carter, I never would have bought. Carters were designed to be used on Chrysler products and not Chevy/GM.:-(

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
When I bought my Elky, it had an Edelbrock in it (350). Bought a Q-jet from MM (Carter-type). I had been getting 13-15 MPG, but with q-jet, I'm getting 7-10. Sooo, I just finished putting the Edelbrock back in. It starts better and runs smoother. Haven't put enough miles on it to check mileage. Had I know I would have been getting a Carter, I never would have bought. Carters were designed to be used on Chrysler products and not Chevy/GM.:-(
That's odd Bruce. Edelbrocks are Carter copies. Q-jets are Rochester not Carters.

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Beepster,There may be something wrong with the Q-Jet because they almost always give better mileage. I absolutely love my Q that Mtn Man rebuilt .Its getting 18 around town and 25-26.5 on the road ! WP

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Just for info: There are Carter q-jets around. Mostly the first few years of production. rochester couldn't keep up so the general used both.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts