El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed the caprice/roadmaster wagon tank in my 86 and was a pretty good fit and it has the correct 0 to 90 ohm sender as the elco.it has a filler vent to help solve the filling issues these seem to be prone to. here are some pics. the 91 to 93 have the tbi pump and the 94 to 96 use the tpi/lt1/ls or any multi port high pressure pump

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have to remove your elco filler neck and install the vent tube from the donor tanks filler then connect it to the new tank it uses the same straps but need a cushion to tighten the straps slightly.i am going to use 3/4 heater hose split open.be sure to make a bracket to suport the filler as it will now be rubber hose mounted to the tank. i will post a pick of what i make for it as it is todays project

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Best I can see from your pics, looks like a pretty nice fit.There,s definitely a need for efi tank alternatives between the venting problems of the aftermarket units & the lack of new efi sending units. Assuming that's a plastic tank? Capacity? I'd also guess that the aftermarket f-body pumps would fit these also.
I may eventually look for one myself. I did a sucessfull efi pump swap to my stock diesel tank sending unit in the mid 90's, but it,s not baffled & fuel sending unit quit several years ago. If I'm going to drop that tank AGAIN, it may as well be replaced with an upgrade. Also what did you have to pay for it in your area?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Am I right in assuming that the 91-93, and the 94-96 fuel tanks are the same and just the fuel pumps are different? Thanks for the pictures and the quick response with this post!

Doug

Maybe at some point in time someone will state the difference in weight between the two tanks.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes they are plastic tanks and i believe 25 gallons. a new sender w/ pump was 136$ from autozone.i paid 40$ for the tank.i didnt have any clearance issues .the straps are in the same spot as the elco and the 22 gallon elco tank is the same basic size with a few bulges in areas with plenty of room. when laid on top of each other the area where the straps go are litterally the same then bulges around the straps . the tanks are the same from 91 to 96 just the pump is different depending on the year.i finished the fill tube mod and will post a pic when i am done for the night . i had to add the vent tube and make mounting bracket to support it . i mounted it to the pinch weld lip where the inner bed wall meets the floor.made it look factory

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the plastic is half the weight of the steel,giving that i had a 22 gallon factory tank.lighter and a few more gallons of gas. i asume the wagon tank is the same capacity as the sedan and the sedan is 25 gallons and the tanks look pretty close in size .and the different filler tube location. as seen in the pic of the fuel fill opening through the gas door it lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Thanks for posting all the info ,Carl.This definitely looks like the way to go for anyone doing a efi swap, which is a lot of people these days. I asked a few other details partly for the benefit of other people who will be popping up here asking the same old tank sender questions that didn't have a good answer. Now I can pass on a good answer thanks to you.
Also , whenever I get around to doing mine, I,m changing the fuel door location to inside the bed & shaving the outside door. Now I won't have to cut the factory filler neck with fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that should be sweet when done, send in some pics when you do.i am in the middle of an lt1/4l60e conversion and putting 4 wheel disc /w/ abs. my donor car was a 95 cop car caprice so i got the 12 in brakes and abs system as well,just waiting on the rear end to get done.i am haveing the 30 spline 8.5 caprice rear shortened for the elco.it has the rear abs sensor built into the pinion

·
Registered
236 Posts
You guys rock. I guess it's true that you can do anything with the right amount of time and creativity :You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just shortened the stock wagon hose. the plastic tanks use a metal fill tube as well ,the wagon one had the wrong bend to snake down to the tank. so i used the elco filler and the wagon hose i cut about 6 in off of it and cut the filler off of the elco leaveving all of the bulges near the tank on the tank, ending up with the end of the elco filler smooth on the end

1 - 20 of 91 Posts