El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was cleaning up the engine bay a while ago and i noticed the egr valve not connected. Check the diagram and seen that it is suppose to be connected to the egr solenoid and another hose from the solenoid to the carb. Problem is that the solenoid is no where to be found??? And also the bracket where tied up too. Found the egr solenoid online but where would i put it?? And also what is the use of. Ive read that it makes the car run better and also saves gas is this true?

Saw diagrams of it behind the egr valve but i dont see can anyone help?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I suggest doing a egr val and egr solenoid search on this site & you'll find several threads on this subject with pics. I have a stock 305 in an '87 and you are in the right area in your pic where my solenoid is mounted near the rear of the right val cover and intake manifold. good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i saw pictures in this forums and did my research the only thing holding me back from putting it the bracket where its attached too i cant find it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm taking the thing off mine (today, I hope). There's a lot of plumbing involved. However, I'd be glad to send it to you.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
... Ive read that it makes the car run better and also saves gas is this true?

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk37/vix1112/2012-04-27_15-45-57_493.jpg
Saw diagrams of it behind the egr valve but i dont see can anyone help?
Not true on both points...
The EGR system is designed to specifically to lower combustion temps under engine loads, and therefore lowering NOx levels. If anything, it slightly impedes combustion thus lowering performance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
on a 83 it is controlled by the ecm abd it bolts to the second from the rear pass side intake bolt. also on that bracket is the map sensor. later this morning i will take a pic of what it is supposed to look like as i just pulled the whole carb engine from my 86

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Just want to make sure if i do really need it so i wont have to buy the solenoid. The thing is the the egr valve is disconnected. Does that have any affect on the car? My check engine light turns on when im on the freeway does th egr have anything to do with that?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It sounds to me as if your emissions system is pretty much disabled. It will run without the EGR, but if your Check Engine light is coming on, your computer is saying it has a problem and your engine is running at the optimum. Do you have an AIR pump, and is it working?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the light is on because it has no solenoid and the ecm see s it as a short or open circuit. plug the solenoid in and leave it disconnected at the hoses and you should be fine.no egr will inprove your feul milage slightly but may alow your motor to ping

1 - 14 of 14 Posts